Introductory lvl circuit analysis problem

In summary, to build low-pass filters with the same characteristics as the RC filters using 10-6 F capacitors and 1k Ohm resistors, but with inductors and resistors instead, you will need to use an inductor value of 1H. This can be found by analyzing the corner frequency of the R-C low pass and determining the appropriate value for L in the L-R low pass that will give the same corner frequency.
t3rom

Homework Statement

Your factory is building RC low-pass filters using 10-6 F capacitors and 1k Ohm resistors. Suddenly the worldwide supply of capacitors dries up and you now have to build filters with the same electrical characteristics but you have to use inductors and resistors rather than capacitors and resistors. If you want to continue using your supply of 1k Ohm resistors, what value inductors should you use to build low-pass filters with the same characteristics as the RC filters you were building?

Homework Equations

None

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm looking for an equation to solve this problem but I've none in my notes. The answer is in Henry (i.e. we are looking for inductor value). Can someone kindly help me understand and solve this problem? TIA!

Physics news on Phys.org
I did have those RC and RL equations in my notes, but I don't understand how to get the value of L from C and R. The answer is 1H btw.

Figure out what the corner frequency is for the R-C low pass. Analyze the L-R low pass; it will have to use the same value of R. Figure out what value of L will give the same corner frequency.

I would approach this problem by first understanding the characteristics of a low-pass filter. A low-pass filter is a circuit that allows low frequency signals to pass through while blocking high frequency signals. This is achieved by using a combination of a resistor and a capacitor. In this case, we are using a 10-6 F capacitor and a 1k Ohm resistor.

Now, if we have to use inductors instead of capacitors, we need to understand how an inductor works. An inductor is a passive component that stores energy in the form of a magnetic field. It resists changes in current flow and has the ability to pass high frequency signals while blocking low frequency signals.

To solve this problem, we can use the concept of impedance. Impedance is the total opposition to the flow of current in an alternating current circuit. In a low-pass filter, the impedance at low frequencies is dominated by the resistor, while at high frequencies it is dominated by the capacitor.

Since we want to maintain the same characteristics of the filter, we need to find an inductor that will have the same impedance as the capacitor at high frequencies. This can be achieved by using the equation Z = √(R^2 + XL^2), where Z is the impedance, R is the resistance, and XL is the inductive reactance.

We know that the value of R is 1k Ohm, and we want to find the value of XL that will give us the same impedance as the 10-6 F capacitor. Using the equation, we can rearrange it to solve for XL, which gives us XL = √(Z^2 - R^2). Plugging in the values, we get XL = √(1k^2 - 10^-12) = 999 Ohms.

Therefore, to build low-pass filters with the same characteristics as the RC filters, we need to use inductors with a value of 999 Ohms. This will ensure that the impedance at high frequencies is the same as the 10-6 F capacitor, allowing the low-pass filter to function in the same way.

1. What is introductory level circuit analysis?

Introductory level circuit analysis is the study of basic electrical circuits and their components, such as resistors, capacitors, and inductors. It involves using mathematical equations and principles to analyze and understand the behavior of these circuits.

2. What are the key components of a circuit?

The key components of a circuit include a power source (such as a battery or power supply), conductors (wires), and various components such as resistors, capacitors, and inductors. These components work together to allow the flow of electric current.

3. How do you solve an introductory level circuit analysis problem?

To solve an introductory level circuit analysis problem, you first need to identify the circuit components and their values. Then, you can use Ohm's law and Kirchhoff's laws to write equations and solve for unknown values. It is also important to draw a clear and accurate circuit diagram to help with the analysis.

4. What are some common mistakes made in introductory level circuit analysis?

Some common mistakes made in introductory level circuit analysis include forgetting to account for the direction of current flow, using incorrect equations or values, and not considering the effects of component interactions (such as series and parallel connections). It is important to double-check your work and carefully analyze the circuit before solving for unknown values.

5. Why is introductory level circuit analysis important?

Introductory level circuit analysis is important because it helps us understand and design electronic and electrical systems. It is the foundation for more complex circuit analysis and allows us to troubleshoot and repair circuits in various devices. Additionally, it can be applied in various fields such as engineering, physics, and computer science.