Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Introductory Rotational Motion Question

1. Dec 23, 2014 #1
    I'm beginning the chapter of Rotational Motion and Angular Momentum and it says the following which got me confused:

Acceleration.jpg
    Source: http://cnx.org/contents/031da8d3-b525-429c-80cf-6c8ed997733a@8.32:68/College_Physics

When I was introduced acceleration at the beginning, it was stated that an acceleration ##a = \frac{\Delta v}{\Delta t}## can be a change either in speed's magnitude or direction; or both. In other words, in any case I would be dealing with an acceleration ##a##.

Does it mean that this is not true?
    Do I need to be more specific?
    If linear acceleration ##a_t## is a change in the speed's magnitude and ##a_c## a change in its direction, how is the change in speed's magnitude and direction at the same time called? Just acceleration?

Thanks!!

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 23, 2014 #2

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Velocity is a vector quantity, has both magnitude and direction. ## \vec v = v \vec {e}## where v is the magnitude of the velocity (called 'speed') and ##\vec e ## is an unit vector in the direction of the velocity.

Acceleration is also vector, the time derivative of the velocity: ##\vec a = \frac {d \vec v}{dt}##. Applying product rule ## \vec a = \frac {d \vec v}{dt} = \frac {d (v \vec e)}{dt}= \frac{dv}{dt} \vec e + v \frac {d \vec e}{dt}##. The first term is acceleration in the original direction: linear acceleration at. The second term is the centripetal acceleration, corresponding to the change of the direction.

4. Dec 23, 2014 #3
    Aah, I see that the statement of the paragraph above does not contradict what I learned about acceleration, as I was thinking.

Now it's much clearer.

Thank you :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook