Vector airplane flying with a side wind

In summary, the task is to determine the actual heading of an airplane with an airspeed of 145 km/h making a flight in the direction of 72 degrees, with a 32-km/h wind coming from 342 degrees. The solution involves using trigonometric functions and understanding the concept of course or heading in navigation. Wind direction is reported in cardinal directions or azimuth degrees, with 0 degrees typically starting at true north and measured clockwise up to 360 degrees.
calc3varbrg9e

Homework Statement

An airplane has an airspeed of 145 km/h. it is to make a flight in a direction of 72 degees while there is a 32-km/h wind from 342 degrees. what will the airplane's actual heading be?

Homework Equations

trig functions

The Attempt at a Solution

this is a calc3 class using the varberg 9th edition textbook and the class uses an online program called math lab which is provided by the textbook and therefore all the online material directly relates to the text... So I am on chapter 11 dealing with vectors... Specifically 3D vectors... however this appears to be a 2D problem... i missed a problem similar to this on my online quiz... so i went to the online practice problems and found this problem... and i clicked the "help me solve this" button which takes you step by step to the solution... At this point i could see where i made mistakes in solving the quiz problem, but i don't understand why i was wrong so my first question is... They draw the plane flying 72 degrees from north in a NE direction... Why? why is it not 72 degrees from East? like you would do any other unit circle type problem?

Physics news on Phys.org
aww... a little research and i found the answer...

In navigation, a vehicle's course or heading is the angle that the intended path of the vehicle makes with a fixed reference object (typically true north). Typically course is measured in degrees from 0° clockwise to 360°

Wind direction is reported by the direction from which it originates. For example, a northerly wind blows from the north to the south. Wind direction is usually reported in cardinal directions or in azimuth degrees. So, for example, a wind coming from the south is given as 180 degrees; one from the east is 90 degrees. So basically it is just like course or heading starting typically at true north and typically measured in degrees from 0° clockwise to 360.°

What is a vector airplane?

A vector airplane is an aircraft that is designed to fly with the assistance of a propeller or jet engine, using the principles of aerodynamics to create lift and propel the aircraft through the air.

How is a vector airplane affected by a side wind?

A vector airplane can be significantly affected by a side wind, as it can cause the aircraft to drift off course and make it more difficult for the pilot to maintain control. This is because the wind hitting the side of the aircraft creates an imbalance in the forces acting on the plane, making it harder to maintain a stable flight path.

What techniques are used to compensate for a side wind when flying a vector airplane?

Pilots of vector airplanes use various techniques to compensate for a side wind, such as adjusting the angle of the aircraft's wings, using rudder controls to steer the plane, and making adjustments to the throttle to maintain a steady airspeed.

Is flying a vector airplane in a side wind more challenging than in calm conditions?

Yes, flying a vector airplane in a side wind is generally more challenging for pilots. It requires a higher level of skill and experience to maintain control and keep the aircraft on course when faced with strong winds.

How do pilots prepare for flying a vector airplane in windy conditions?

Pilots prepare for flying a vector airplane in windy conditions by checking weather reports and wind forecasts before the flight, ensuring that the aircraft is properly maintained and balanced, and practicing techniques for compensating for a side wind during training flights.