Intuitive description of what the Ricci tensor & scalar represent?

In summary, the Ricci tensor and scalar represent the contraction or expansion of the Riemann tensor and Ricci tensor, respectively.
andrewkirk
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
Is there a simple intuitive description of what the Ricci tensor and scalar represent?

I have what seems to me a straightforward understanding of what the Riemann tensor Rabcd represents, as follows. If you parallel transport a vector b around a tiny rectangle, the sides of which are determined by two other vectors c and d, the change in the transported vector when it arrives back at the start will have component in direction a given by the application of the Riemann tensor to vectors b, c, d and one-form a.

The Ricci tensor is a contraction of the Riemann tensor, and the Ricci scalar is a contraction of the Ricci tensor. However I can't think of a physical interpretation of these items that is similarly intuitive to the one above for the Riemann tensor.

Does anybody have such an interpretation?

Physics news on Phys.org
andrewkirk said:
Is there a simple intuitive description of what the Ricci tensor and scalar represent?

I have what seems to me a straightforward understanding of what the Riemann tensor Rabcd represents, as follows. If you parallel transport a vector b around a tiny rectangle, the sides of which are determined by two other vectors c and d, the change in the transported vector when it arrives back at the start will have component in direction a given by the application of the Riemann tensor to vectors b, c, d and one-form a.

The Ricci tensor is a contraction of the Riemann tensor, and the Ricci scalar is a contraction of the Ricci tensor. However I can't think of a physical interpretation of these items that is similarly intuitive to the one above for the Riemann tensor.

Does anybody have such an interpretation?

I'd suggest Baez's http://math.ucr.edu/home/baez/gr/outline2.html, the "long course". A specific line of interest is:

Well, first of all, it's nice because we have a simple geometrical way of understanding the Ricci tensor Rab in terms of convergence of geodesics. Remember, if v is the velocity vector of the particle in the middle of a little ball of initially comoving test particles in free fall, and the ball starts out having volume V, the second time derivative of the volume of the ball is

##-R_{ab} v^a v^b## times V

but this won't make much sense until you read the backround.

"The Meaning of Einstein's equation" http://math.ucr.edu/home/baez/einstein/, by the same author, is a simpler look at some of the same material, but it doesn't mention as much details about the tensor names.

[add]
It might not be quite as intuitive, but articles on Raychaudhuri's equation, such as http://arxiv.org/abs/gr-qc/0611123, might be helpful too.

Last edited:
pervect said:
I'd suggest Baez's "The Meaning of Einstein's equation" [url]http://math.ucr.edu/home/baez/einstein/, by the same author, is a simpler look at some of the same material, but it doesn't mention as much details about the tensor names.

http://settheory.net/cosmology,
http://settheory.net/general-relativity

It's better :
- It is directly applied to an important example (universal expansion)
- The expression is simpler (relating 1 component of the energy tensor
to 3 components of the Riemann tensor)
- The relation between energy and curvature is not only expressed but
also justified
- Both (diagonal) space and time components of the relation are
expressed and justified, resulting in showing their similarity "like a
coincidence".

How much "intuitive" do you mean?

Imagine a thin rubber membrane. Now you select some point on it and you take 4 needles. You pin the needles in the neighbourhood of that point, so the entry points form a cross and your original point is in the center.

Now you use the needles to squeeze the membrane. Notice that in the original position the needles form a circle and the cross is aligned horizontally-vertically. You can do 3 things:
1. You can move the needles closer or further so the size of the circle is smaller or larger.
2. You can move the horizontal needles closer (further) and the vertical further (closer). The circle is deformed to an ellipse.
3. You can turn all needles (counter)clockwise around the central point. The cross formed by the needles is no longer aligned.

Now you can fetch the following information from your deformations:
A. If you consider the ellipse eccentricity (deviation from the circular shape) you get the Ricci tensor.
B. If you consider only the ellipse area (actually the ratio to the area of the undeformed circle) you get the Ricci scalar.
C. If you consider the angle of the cross relative to the horizontal-vertical grid you get the Weyl tensor.

Our membrane was 2-dimensional, so we needed 4 needles. In 3 dimensions we would need 6, in 4 we would need 8.

I couldn't make it any more "intuitive". I hope it helps.

Likes 1 person

1. What is the Ricci tensor?

The Ricci tensor is a mathematical object that describes the curvature of space in a given point. It is defined in terms of the second derivatives of the metric tensor, which represents the distance between points in a space.

2. What does the Ricci tensor represent intuitively?

The Ricci tensor represents the local change in volume of a small region of space. It can be thought of as a measure of how much space is being "bent" or curved at a specific point.

3. How is the Ricci tensor related to the curvature of space?

The Ricci tensor is a component of the Riemann curvature tensor, which is a mathematical object that fully describes the curvature of space. The Ricci tensor, along with the other components of the Riemann tensor, provides a complete description of the curvature at a given point in space.

4. What is the significance of the Ricci scalar?

The Ricci scalar is a single number that is derived from the Ricci tensor. It represents the overall curvature of space at a given point. A positive Ricci scalar indicates that the space is positively curved, while a negative Ricci scalar indicates a negatively curved space.

5. How is the Ricci tensor used in physics?

The Ricci tensor, along with other mathematical objects such as the Einstein tensor, plays a crucial role in Einstein's theory of general relativity. It is used to describe the curvature of space-time and how it is affected by the presence of matter and energy. It is also used in various other fields of physics, such as cosmology, where it helps to describe the large-scale structure of the universe.