Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Invariance of integration measure under shifts in field

1. Oct 24, 2015 #1
    I've been trying to teach myself the path integral formulation of quantum field theory and there's a point that's really bugging me: why is the integration measure ##\mathcal{D}\phi(x)## invariant under shifts in the field of the form $$\phi(x)\rightarrow\tilde{\phi}(x)=\phi(x)+\int d^{4}y\Delta(x-y)J(y),\qquad\mathcal{D}\phi(x)\rightarrow\mathcal{D}\tilde{\phi}(x)$$ (where ##\Delta(x-y)## is a Green's function corresponding to the differential operator ##\Box + m^{2}## and ##J(x)## is a source).
    Is it simply because the shift term ##\int d^{4}y\Delta(x-y)J(y)## is independent of the field configuration ##\phi(x)## at each spacetime point, or is there more to it than that?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 24, 2015 #2

vanhees71

Science Advisor
    2016 Award

Yes, that's it! If you are in doubt about some operation in path integration, just think about it in the "lattice version", i.e., consider space and time to be a finite 4D grid of discrete points. Then you have just a usual multidimensional integral. Then it's indeed clear that the integration measure does not change by just shifting all integration variables by arbitrary constants.

4. Oct 24, 2015 #3
    Ah OK ,great, I thought that was probably the case, but just wanted to make sure. Thanks for your help!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook