Calculate Invariant Mass for Kaon & Pion - Help from W.

In summary, the conversation involves a collision between a Kaon plus and a proton, resulting in a Kaon and a neutral pion. The question asks for the calculation of the invariant mass of just the outgoing Kaon and pion, taking into account their momenta, the angle between them, and their masses. There is some confusion over whether to add or subtract the quantities (E1 + E2)^2 and (p1 + p2)^2 in the invariant mass equation, but it is suggested to subtract them. The calculated value may seem high, but it should work according to the formula.
wakko101
We have a collision involving a Kaon plus and proton initially resulting in the same plus a neutral pion (ie. Kp to Kp(pi)). The question asks to calculate the invariant mass of just the outgoing kaon and pion, given the outgoing momenta of the particles, the angle between them and their masses.

Do I have to take into account the mass of the proton when I'm calculating this, or can I simply add (E1 + E2)^2 and (p1 + p2)^2 (ie the masses and momentum of the two relevant particles) according to the invariant mass equation? The value I'm getting now seems too large, in the region of 10 GeV/c^2.

Any help/suggestions would be appreciated.

Cheers,
W.

Physics news on Phys.org
The formula is
[tex]m^2 = E^2 - p^2[/tex]
isn't it? So you should subtract those two quantities, not add them, but otherwise I think it should work.

What is the formula for calculating invariant mass for Kaon and Pion?

The formula for calculating invariant mass for Kaon and Pion is Etotal2 - (px2 + py2 + pz2) = mKaon2 + mPion2, where Etotal is the total energy of the particles and px, py, and pz are the momentum components in the x, y, and z directions.

What is the unit of measurement for invariant mass?

The unit of measurement for invariant mass is in energy units, such as electron-volts (eV) or joules (J). However, it is often expressed in terms of the mass of a particle, such as electron masses (MeV/c2) or proton masses (GeV/c2).

Why is invariant mass used in particle physics?

Invariant mass is used in particle physics because it is a fundamental property of a particle and is conserved in all interactions. It allows scientists to accurately measure the mass of particles, even in situations where they are moving at high speeds or are produced in high-energy collisions.

Can we calculate invariant mass for more than two particles?

Yes, we can calculate invariant mass for any number of particles. The formula is similar to the one used for two particles, but it includes the masses and momenta of all the particles involved in the interaction.

Is invariant mass affected by relativity?

Yes, invariant mass is affected by relativity. It is a relativistic quantity that takes into account the energy and momentum of a particle, which can change with respect to an observer's frame of reference. However, the concept of invariant mass remains the same regardless of the observer's frame of reference.