Inverse function of a quarter circle gives me same function

In summary: Of course, \frac{df^{-1}(f(x))}{dx} is the derivative of the inverse function. So the derivative of the inverse function is the reciprocal of the derivative of the original function.
jaysquestions
Is this normal? it doesn't seem correct.
The equation for the portion of circle with radius 1 unit in the 1st Quadrant is:
## y = f(x) = \sqrt{1-x^2} ## Domain is 0<x

But when I calculate f'(x) I also get
## f'(x) = \sqrt{1-x^2} ##
I thought inverse functions always reflect about y=x. Please help...confused...thanks

Mathematics news on Phys.org
You are calculating the derivative incorrectly.

jaysquestions said:
Is this normal? it doesn't seem correct.
The equation for the portion of circle with radius 1 unit in the 1st Quadrant is:
## y = f(x) = \sqrt{1-x^2} ## Domain is 0<x

Please show the work to get the above (which is wrong).
jaysquestions said:
I thought inverse functions always reflect about y=x. Please help...confused...thanks
What does your work have to do with inverse functions? There is a formula for the derivative of the inverse of a function. Is that what you're doing?

jaysquestions said:

If you draw graph of the function and the line y=x you should quickly see that reflection about y=x doesn't change the graph.

Assuming you meant f'(x) to be the inverse function of f(x) and not the derivative.

Sorry for the confusion I didn't mean derivative at all I meant inverse. I was having probs trying to make latex show a superscript -1. (actually I still can't do it)

Mark44 said:
Please show the work to get the above (which is wrong).

What does your work have to do with inverse functions? There is a formula for the derivative of the inverse of a function. Is that what you're doing?
I meant inverse, i thought it was the same as the derivative symbol, plus I couldn't get f^-1(x) in latex

jaysquestions said:
I meant inverse, i thought it was the same as the derivative symbol, plus I couldn't get f^-1(x) in latex
##f^{-1}(x)##

Renders as ##f^{-1}(x)##

Yes, inverse functions always "reflect about y= x". And the function, [itex]y= \sqrt{1- x^2}[/itex] is the same as [itex]x^2+ y^2= 1[/itex] in the first quadrant it is symmetric in x and y- solving for x or y give exactly the same thing- the function is the same as its inverse function. There a number or functions that are the same as their inverses:
y= x, y= 1- x, y= 1/x, ...

thanks for the answers and the latex tip for inverse functions.
Do inverse functions have some sort of relationship to derivatives and if so what is the relationship? (just in generality I mean) I know that derivative of fcn is the slope and that inverse of fcn reflects about x-axis, so do they all relate together in some way?
thanks

If [itex]f(x)[/itex] has inverse function [itex]f^{-1}(x)[/itex] then [itex]f^{-1}(f(x))= 1[/itex]. Differentiating both sides of that with respect to x, using the "chain rule" on the left, [tex]\frac{df^{-1}(f(x))}{dx}\frac{df}{dx}= 1[/tex] so [tex]\frac{df^{-1}(f(x))}{dx}= \frac{1}{\frac{df}{dx}}[/tex]

1. What is an inverse function?

An inverse function is a mathematical operation that "undoes" another function. It essentially reverses the process of the original function and can be thought of as the opposite of the original function.

2. Why is it important to find the inverse function of a quarter circle?

It is important to find the inverse function of a quarter circle because it allows us to solve for unknown values or variables in the original function. It also helps us understand the relationship between the input and output values of the function.

3. How do you find the inverse function of a quarter circle?

To find the inverse function of a quarter circle, we can use the following steps:
1. Write the original function in terms of x and y.
2. Switch the x and y variables.
3. Solve for y to get the inverse function.
For example, if the original function is y = √(1-x²), the inverse function would be x = √(1-y²).

4. Can the inverse function of a quarter circle be graphed?

Yes, the inverse function of a quarter circle can be graphed. The graph of the inverse function will be a reflection of the original quarter circle function over the line y = x.

5. What properties does the inverse function of a quarter circle have?

The inverse function of a quarter circle has the following properties:
1. The domain and range of the inverse function are swapped from the original function.
2. The inverse function is the reflection of the original function over the line y = x.
3. The composition of the function and its inverse results in the input value.
4. The inverse function is its own inverse, meaning that applying the inverse function twice will result in the original input value.