Inverse Functions. Test Prep help.

In summary, this individual was able to record a .avi file of themselves talking and writing equations on a whiteboard at a distance of 6 inches. They were then able to use Windows Media Encoder or Windows Movie Maker to convert the file to .WMV format and upload it to a free video hosting site.
Seiya
hey lads, i just was wondering if i solved this right:

5. Consider the function f(x) = 3x+cos(x), defined on the interval [0, pi]

(a) prove that f has an inverse function g. Note: you are note expected to find the inverse function g indicate your reasoning.

I dre the graph of f(x) and showed its a one to one function with a horizontal line test... I am not sure this is enough please tell me if i have to do anything extra

then i said that any continuos 1 to 1 function has a inverse function with the change of domain and range...

(b) determine the domain and range of the funcion g

since the function domain was A and range B, the inverse domain is B and range A.

function = d [0,pi] r [1,8.421]
inverse = d[1,8.4] r [0,pi]

(c) determine the derivative g'(3pi/2) Hint: first, show that f(xo) = 3(pi/2) when x0 = pi/2

find the derivative of the function at xo then the derivative of the inverse is 1/derivativefunction

is all my reasoning right? I am sure illl have this on my final, any advice appreciated

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello,

Being that this was a good review problem for me, I went ahead and worked it through on video. I only worked part (a). This video is about 12MB so it might take a few minutes if your on dial-up. I hope this helps you out.

http://www.zippyvideos.com/5562444952738986/monotonic_function_12-18-05/*deriveit"

:biggrin:

Last edited by a moderator:
hmm i guess you did the same thing as me just with much more detail ;) alright ill show as much detail on my test, thanks for the vid! how did u make it anyway really nice lol

I have a quickcam 4000 which is focused on a piece of paper, at a distace of about 6 inches. Using logitech's included software, I record the .avi file. Once the .AVI is recored, if you have Windows XP it is very simple to use Windows Media Encoder or Windows Movie Maker to convert it to .WMV format. From there, just upload it to a free video hosting site such as putfile.com or zippyvideos.com. It's much to easier recording myself writing and talking than it is typing each step and converting all the equations to latex. I hope others will do this :)

Last edited:

What are inverse functions?

An inverse function is a mathematical concept that represents the reverse relationship between two functions. In simpler terms, if a function f maps the input x to an output y, then the inverse function f-1 maps the output y back to the input x.

How do you find the inverse of a function?

The process of finding the inverse of a function involves switching the input and output variables and solving for the new output variable. This can be done by using algebraic methods or by graphing the original function and reflecting it over the line y = x.

What is the domain and range of an inverse function?

The domain of an inverse function is the range of the original function, and the range of an inverse function is the domain of the original function. In other words, the inputs and outputs of the original function become the outputs and inputs of the inverse function, respectively.

What is the relationship between inverse functions and composite functions?

Inverse functions and composite functions are closely related. The composition of a function with its inverse is the identity function, meaning that the output of the composite function will always be the same as the input. This relationship is important in understanding the properties of inverse functions.

How can inverse functions be applied in real life?

Inverse functions can be used in various real-life scenarios, such as calculating interest rates, solving for unknown quantities in equations, and analyzing data in science and engineering. They also play a crucial role in optimization problems, where finding the inverse function can help determine the maximum or minimum value of a given function.