Laplace and inverse laplace transformation of unit step functions u(t).

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 3K views
thepatient
Messages
160
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



So I have this laplace transformation chart and was a bit unsure about the laplace and inverse laplace of this.

The unit step function, where u(t) = 0 where t < 0, u(t) = 1 where t > 0.

The laplace transformation chart that I have has two columns, the column on the left shows f(t) and the column on the right shows inverse laplace{f(t)} = F(s) for the corresponding f(t) on the left. Under f(t), both u(t) and 1 are on the same row as F(s) = 1/s. Does this mean that if I take the inverse laplace of 1/s, I can choose between using 1 or u(t)?

Thanks.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
The Laplace transform involves the domain [itex]t\in [0,\infty)[/itex]. Both [itex]f(t)=1[/itex] and [itex]u(t)[/itex] are the same on this domain, so there's no ambiguity in computing the inverse Laplace transform.
 
fzero said:
The Laplace transform involves the domain [itex]t\in [0,\infty)[/itex]. Both [itex]f(t)=1[/itex] and [itex]u(t)[/itex] are the same on this domain, so there's no ambiguity in computing the inverse Laplace transform.

Thanks.

Thats what I thought.