1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Laplace and inverse laplace transformation of unit step functions u(t).

1. Feb 5, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

So I have this laplace transformation chart and was a bit unsure about the laplace and inverse laplace of this.

The unit step function, where u(t) = 0 where t < 0, u(t) = 1 where t > 0.

The laplace transformation chart that I have has two columns, the column on the left shows f(t) and the column on the right shows inverse laplace{f(t)} = F(s) for the corresponding f(t) on the left. Under f(t), both u(t) and 1 are on the same row as F(s) = 1/s. Does this mean that if I take the inverse laplace of 1/s, I can choose between using 1 or u(t)?

Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 5, 2013 #2

fzero

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The Laplace transform involves the domain [itex]t\in [0,\infty)[/itex]. Both [itex]f(t)=1[/itex] and [itex]u(t)[/itex] are the same on this domain, so there's no ambiguity in computing the inverse Laplace transform.

4. Feb 5, 2013 #3
    Thanks.

Thats what I thought.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook