Solving the Opposite Sign Puzzle: How to Get the Right Answer

In summary, the conversation is about finding the inverse of a 2x2 matrix, with one person asking for help and the other person questioning why they are not showing their own work. The formula for finding the inverse is also provided.
Ry122
Can someone please show me how to get this.

http://users.on.net/~rohanlal/Untitled-3.jpg [Broken]

I get the same answer but the sign of everything is the opposite.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
What is the formula to find inverse of a 2x2 matrix?

Inverse of A = [a b; c d] =>

(1/ad-bc) [ d -b; -c a]Thanks

Asif

Ry122 said:
Can someone please show me how to get this.

http://users.on.net/~rohanlal/Untitled-3.jpg [Broken]

I get the same answer but the sign of everything is the opposite.

How the heck can we show you what you did wrong if you don't show us what you did?? Huh? Nobody is allowed to simply work it out for you. You should know that.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is the opposite sign puzzle?

The opposite sign puzzle is a mathematical problem that involves finding the correct sign (positive or negative) for a given equation to get the right answer.

2. Why is it important to solve the opposite sign puzzle?

Solving the opposite sign puzzle is important because it helps us understand and manipulate mathematical expressions, which is a fundamental skill in many areas of science and everyday life.

3. What are the common strategies for solving the opposite sign puzzle?

The most common strategy for solving the opposite sign puzzle is to use the rules of operations, such as the order of operations and the distributive property, to simplify the equation and determine the correct sign. Another strategy is to use number sense and estimation to check the reasonableness of the answer.

4. Can the opposite sign puzzle be solved using different methods?

Yes, there are multiple methods for solving the opposite sign puzzle, and the most appropriate method will depend on the complexity of the equation and the individual's preferred approach to problem-solving. Some people may prefer to use mental math and estimation, while others may prefer to use algebraic manipulation.

5. How can I improve my skills in solving the opposite sign puzzle?

Practicing regularly and understanding the concepts behind the rules of operations is the best way to improve your skills in solving the opposite sign puzzle. Additionally, working through different types of equations and seeking help from a teacher or tutor can also be beneficial.