Inverse of (I+vv') where norm(v)<1

  • Thread starter Thread starter tennishaha
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Matrix
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
tennishaha
Messages
21
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



v is a vector with norm(v)<1
what is the inverse of (I+vv') where I is a identity matrix

Homework Equations





The Attempt at a Solution

 
Physics news on Phys.org
I don't see how this simplifies at all. If

[tex]A \ = \ I \ + \ vv'[/tex] then

[tex]A_{ij} \ = \ v_iv_j[/tex] when [tex]i \neq j[/tex] and

[tex]A_{ij} \ = \ v_iv_j + 1[/tex] when [tex]i = j[/tex].

I can't see how [tex]A^{-1}[/tex] can turn out pretty. But maybe I'm just missing something...it is getting pretty late.
 
UPDATE:

All I can seem to find is

[tex]det(A) \ = \ ||\textbf{v}||^2 \ + \ 1.[/tex]

I'm not 100% certain on this since I didn't really construct a fool proof but instead made a few "gut" leaps, but I think (and hope) it holds. This result is sort of pretty; however, I still stand by what I said earlier: I highly doubt [tex]A^{-1}[/tex] is pretty.
 
I think I saw someone say that the matrix defined by an out product has rank 1 and therefore not invertible.

Mat