1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Inverse Trigonometric Equation problem

1. Aug 28, 2012 #1
    EDIT: 1.The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The problem asks to simplify this: cos(arcsin x)

2. Relevant equations
    let arc sin x = θ

3. The attempt at a solution
    EDIT: I have to edit because I received a warning for not posting for #3 and #2. I originally posted "cos(arcsin x)" for #2 because that was what I know that is relevant to the problem. And I apologize for I didn't know it wasn't enough (I'm new here and sorry if I didn't understand the rules well, I thought it was okay to remove the format instructions and just put what is being asked instead. Quoted above is my previous post #3. As I said there, I really don't have any idea and therefore asks for some (can't put any attempt) When I got the hint from the mentors, I was able to work on this:

Let arcsin x = θ

if arcsin x = θ, then x = sinθ

get the cos of θ from given x/1 and should get for cosθ = √1-x2 (by pythagorean theorem)

the answer is cos(θ) = √1-x2

Last edited: Aug 28, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 28, 2012 #2

Mentallic

Homework Helper

Let [itex]\theta = \arcsin(x)[/itex] so then [itex]x=\sin(\theta)[/itex]. This expression is just simple trig where you first learn that the sine of an angle is OPP/HYP in a right triangle right? So do just that. Create the right-triangle with an angle of [itex]\theta[/itex] such that [itex]\sin(\theta)=x[/itex] (which is equivalent to x/1).

4. Aug 28, 2012 #3
    So what should be my final answer? Is it Cos θ? Sorry if I ask too many. :(

EDIT: Ok sir. Nevermind this. I already got the answer. Thank you so much! :)

5. Aug 28, 2012 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Good! I am glad you were able to get the answer- I hope you were able to work it out for yourself from the hint acen gr gave you.

For others who might wonder: Yes, "the answer is [itex]cos(\theta)[/itex]" but that is not the end of it. As acen gr suggested, "Create the right-triangle with an angle of θ such that sin(θ)=x (which is equivalent to x/1)." Then we have a right triangle with "opposite side" of length x and "hypotenuse" of length 1. By the Pythagorean theorem, the "near side" has length [itex]\sqrt{1- x^2}[/itex]. Since cosine is "near side over hypotenuse", [itex]cos(\theta)= cos(cos^{-1}(x))= \frac{(\sqrt{1- x^2}}{1}= \sqrt{1- x^2}[/itex]

You could also do it this way: for any angle [itex]\theta[/itex], [itex]sin^2(\theta)+ cos^2(\theta)= 1[/itex] so that [itex]cos(\theta)= \pm\sqrt{1- sin^2(\theta)}[/itex]. That is, [itex]cos(sin^{-1}(x))= \pm\sqrt{1- sin^2(sin^{-1}(x))}= \pm\sqrt{1- x^2}[/itex]. Because the standard domain of [itex]sin^{-1}[/itex] is [itex]-\pi/2[/itex] to [itex]\pi/2[/itex], the sign is the same as the sign of x.

(The sign did not come up in the previous paragraph because being able to draw a triangle with side "x" assumes x is positive.)

6. Aug 28, 2012 #5

Mentallic

Homework Helper

HallsofIvy, I think you're getting a little mixed up with who is helping who :tongue:

7. Aug 28, 2012 #6
    Sir, so the final answer should be Cosθ = [itex]\sqrt{1- x^2}[/itex]? Am I right?

EDIT: Anyway sir, I am the one who was helped by Mentallic :)
    EDIT: How do I make square root symbol here?

8. Aug 28, 2012 #7

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

One of these days, I really need to learn to read!

9. Aug 28, 2012 #8

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Assuming that x is positive, yes. Otherwise [itex]cos(sin(\theta))= \pm\sqrt{1- x^2}[/itex].

There is a LaTeX tutorial at https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?p=3977517&posted=1#post3977517.

For just a single square root symbol, if you click on the "Go Advanced", you will see a table of "Quick Symbols" and there is a "√" there- notice that you had better use ( ) with that!

10. Aug 28, 2012 #9
    Wee! Thanks mentor! :) I love this site!

11. Aug 28, 2012 #10

Mentallic

Homework Helper

Yes that's correct.

You already have! Using tex tags as you've done.

Create a homework thread and I'm sure some of us would be delighted to help you :wink:

12. Aug 28, 2012 #11

Mentallic

Homework Helper

Just to clarify, we're talking about [tex]\cos(\sin^{-1}\theta)[/tex] and not [tex]\cos(\sin\theta)[/tex]

Also, the range of [itex]\sin^{-1}\theta[/itex] is [itex][-\pi/2, \pi/2][/itex] and thus the range of [itex]\cos(\sin^{-1}\theta)[/itex] is [itex][0,1][/itex] so the answer is only [itex]\sqrt{1-x^2}[/itex]

13. Aug 28, 2012 #12
    Oh I see. No wonder why the actual question here in my notes asks for an exact answer;) Thanks Metallic! :D

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook