Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Inversion of incomplete elliptic integral of the second kind

1. Jan 17, 2015 #1
    Hello I hope this is the right place to ask this question. For my thesis I need a way to invert a incomplete elliptic integral of the second kind. I believe the Jacobi elliptic functions are inverse of the elliptic integral of the first kind. The calculation I'm doing is symbolic so a numerically inverting the second integral will be no good for me. Does anyone know which function is the inverse to the elliptic integral of the second. Or perhaps I can do a coordinate transformation to turn my elliptic integral of the second kind to a elliptic integral of the first kind.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 18, 2015 #2

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Incomplete elliptic integrals of the second kind can be expressed in terms of Jacobi elliptic functions:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elliptic_integral#Incomplete_elliptic_integral_of_the_second_kind

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook