Inversion of incomplete elliptic integral of the second kind

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 3K views
xdrgnh
Messages
415
Reaction score
0
Hello I hope this is the right place to ask this question. For my thesis I need a way to invert a incomplete elliptic integral of the second kind. I believe the Jacobi elliptic functions are inverse of the elliptic integral of the first kind. The calculation I'm doing is symbolic so a numerically inverting the second integral will be no good for me. Does anyone know which function is the inverse to the elliptic integral of the second. Or perhaps I can do a coordinate transformation to turn my elliptic integral of the second kind to a elliptic integral of the first kind.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
xdrgnh said:
Hello I hope this is the right place to ask this question. For my thesis I need a way to invert a incomplete elliptic integral of the second kind. I believe the Jacobi elliptic functions are inverse of the elliptic integral of the first kind. The calculation I'm doing is symbolic so a numerically inverting the second integral will be no good for me. Does anyone know which function is the inverse to the elliptic integral of the second. Or perhaps I can do a coordinate transformation to turn my elliptic integral of the second kind to a elliptic integral of the first kind.

Incomplete elliptic integrals of the second kind can be expressed in terms of Jacobi elliptic functions:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elliptic_integral#Incomplete_elliptic_integral_of_the_second_kind