Inverting a system of equations technique?

In summary, the author is asking if there is a systematic method for solving equations involving two constants, e and d. If so, the author seeks a way to express the generality in terms of the mathematical relationships. The author also mentions that numerical methods like those used for 10th degree polynomials might be necessary.
Mugged
I'm not entirely sure if this belongs in the linear algebra section, but here goes:

suppose I have two equations:

b = d + e

c = e*d

I have described b and c in terms of e and d. Is it possible to solve for e and d in terms of b and c? Can anyone provide some possible techniques?

Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Mugged! :smile:

Use the first equation to get e = b - d,

then substitute for e into the second equation, to give you a quadratic equation in d :wink:

oh, yeah...forgot to mention. I can't use the quadratic equation directly.

Mugged said:
I can't use the quadratic equation directly.

what do you mean? :confused:

suppose I don't know the quadratic equation, how would i solve it then.

you see, the equations i put up come directly from a generic quadratic polynomial:

suppose I have an equation: x^2 + b*x + c = 0 and I try to put it in the form (x + e)*(x + d) = 0

the result is the equations above. So basically I'm trying to derive the quadratic formula without using it. Of course knowing the form of the quadratic formula helps you derive the forms for e and d, but I am just wondering is there a way to do it without knowing anything beforehand.

Typically one derives the quadratic formula using "completing the square".

Mugged said:
suppose I have an equation: x^2 + b*x + c = 0 …

you could write it x2 + bx + 1/4 b2 = -c - 1/4 b2,

which is the same as (x + b/2)2 = -c - 1/4 b2 :wink:

(that's completing the square)

oh come on...

It seems like you have a nail to put in as well as a hammer, but you don't for some reason want to use the hammer. Is there any reasoning behind this?

Well, what I am really looking for is a systematic method for solving, so what I am really after is a nail gun.

If i change the equations in some manner, id like to still be able to solve them. Do you see what i mean? Its like if you have 2nd order ODE and solve it by finding the roots...that same root finding idea can be applied to a 3rd order ODE without radically changing the method.

Mugged said:
Well, what I am really looking for is a systematic method for solving, so what I am really after is a nail gun.

If i change the equations in some manner, id like to still be able to solve them. Do you see what i mean? Its like if you have 2nd order ODE and solve it by finding the roots...that same root finding idea can be applied to a 3rd order ODE without radically changing the method.

Could you then express the generality in terms of the mathematical relationships.

As an example instead of it being a quadratic is it a polynomial? Maybe it's a transcendental function?

Instead of e being a constant could e = r(x,y,z)?

If you give us those things, then you will get a more specific answer to your question.

Also remember that techniques for general solutions like for example solving a general polynomial analytically are not at the very least unknown with the techniques we currently have in use.

So if you gave me say an arbitrary 10th degree polynomial and I had to find it's roots, I would probably in all likelihood have to use a computational numeric root finder to get an approximate answer, as opposed to using something that will spit out an analytic method.

the type of equation i have used to come up with the equations in my first post is irrelevant. The letters b,c,d,e are all constants, possibly complex.

Im just wondering is there some inversion technique that can be used that i haven't considered?

and of course you'd have to use numerical for 10th degree. the abel-ruffini thm says no solution in radicals exists for degrees 5 or higher.

The Jacobian:
[tex]
\frac{\partial(b, c)}{\partial(d, e)} = \begin{vmatrix}
1 & 1 \\
e & d
\end{vmatrix} = d - e
[/tex]
is non-zero if and only if [itex]d \neq e[/itex]. This is a necessary and sufficient condition for the existence of the inverse transformation.

What is the "Inverting a system of equations technique"?

The "Inverting a system of equations technique" is a mathematical method used to solve a system of equations. It involves rearranging the equations in a system in order to isolate a variable and then using that variable to solve for the other variables in the system.

When is the "Inverting a system of equations technique" used?

The "Inverting a system of equations technique" is typically used when there are multiple equations with multiple variables and the goal is to find the values of those variables that satisfy all of the equations.

What are the steps involved in using the "Inverting a system of equations technique"?

The first step is to rearrange the equations in the system so that one variable is isolated on one side of the equation. Then, use that variable to substitute into the other equations in the system. Finally, solve for the remaining variables using basic algebraic principles.

What are the benefits of using the "Inverting a system of equations technique"?

The "Inverting a system of equations technique" is beneficial because it allows for the quick and accurate solving of systems of equations. It can also be used to find multiple solutions for systems with more than one set of solutions.

Are there any limitations to the "Inverting a system of equations technique"?

Yes, the "Inverting a system of equations technique" may not work for systems with non-linear equations or for systems with no solution. It also requires a good understanding of algebraic principles and may be more time-consuming for larger systems.