Inverting Amplifier maximum output voltage

In summary, the conversation discusses a physics lab involving an inverting amplifier and the limitation of the output voltage to 8Vrms. It is suggested that the limited voltage is due to the 12V DC power supply for the op amp. The conversation also mentions the use of dual +/- 12V supplies and how the output voltage swing is affected by the power supply voltages. A link to a datasheet is provided for further information on the limitations of real-world op amps.
moonkey

Homework Statement

I'm doing a physics lab that involves an inverting amplifier. I'm pretty crap when it comes to electronics. I've discovered that the output voltage won't go past 8Vrms.

The amplifier is like the one here
http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=File:Op-Amp_Inverting_Amplifier.svg&page=1

Homework Equations

none

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm thinking that this is due to the DC power supply for the op amp being 12V. Would I be right in thinking that the maximum Vp (peak voltage as measured on the oxcilloscope) which in my case is 11.5V is due to the 12V DC power supply?

Physics news on Phys.org
You are obviously using dual +/- 12V supplies for your op amp.

8V rms is about 22.4V peak-to-peak which is close to 24V, the sum of your supplies.

Decidedly, you are being limited by the power supply voltages! Every op amp requires a minimum voltage drop from its output to either supply.

Thanks rude man

See "Output Voltage Swing" on page 3.

http://www.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/lm741.pdf

For this opamp they don't guarantee you can get within 3 or 4 V of the supply rails. eg on +/-15V rails the output can swing to +/- 12V at best depending on the output load.

Just one of the many ways a real world opamp differes from an ideal amp.

Based on the information provided, it is likely that the maximum output voltage of 8Vrms is due to the DC power supply for the op amp being 12V. This is because the maximum Vp (peak voltage) is typically slightly lower than the DC power supply voltage. However, it is important to note that the exact maximum output voltage will depend on the specific components and circuit design used in the inverting amplifier. Additionally, the maximum output voltage may also be affected by factors such as the input signal amplitude and frequency. It may be helpful to consult the circuit diagram and datasheet for the specific op amp being used in order to better understand the limitations of the amplifier.

1. What is an inverting amplifier?

An inverting amplifier is an electronic circuit that amplifies an input signal while also inverting its polarity. This means that the output voltage will be a negative version of the input voltage.

2. How does an inverting amplifier work?

An inverting amplifier works by using an operational amplifier (op-amp) to amplify the input signal and then inverting the output voltage. The op-amp has a negative feedback loop that helps to stabilize the output voltage and maintain a consistent gain.

3. What is the maximum output voltage of an inverting amplifier?

The maximum output voltage of an inverting amplifier is determined by the power supply and the gain of the circuit. It cannot exceed the voltage of the power supply, and it will be a negative version of the input voltage multiplied by the gain.

4. How can I calculate the maximum output voltage of an inverting amplifier?

The maximum output voltage can be calculated using the formula Vout = -(Vin x Rf/Rin), where Vin is the input voltage, Rf is the feedback resistor, and Rin is the input resistor. It is important to note that the power supply voltage and op-amp limitations should also be considered when calculating the maximum output voltage.

5. What are some common applications of inverting amplifiers?

Inverting amplifiers are commonly used in audio amplifiers, signal processing circuits, and instrumentation circuits. They can also be used for impedance matching and voltage inversion in electronic circuits.