Invest in Science: What's Next?

In summary: Thorium might be a better option, as it is not as radioactive as uranium and has the potential to be more efficient.In summary, the author believes that the next big thing in technology will be related to storing energy, with improvements in batteries and other technology. They don't think that it will be something that is already big, like Netflix, but rather something that is new and innovative.
Borg
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Simple question:

What do you think would be the best science or technology related companies to invest in today? What will be the next Microsoft?

Physics news on Phys.org
I believe producing another Microsoft requires a strong heart, talent and determination, not money. Thus easiest would be spending money to improve the education and increasing the future talent.

Why don't you do your own research rather than getting others to do it for you?

Noxide said:
Why don't you do your own research rather than getting others to do it for you?

Either I or you misunderstood. I thought it is about large scale investments/findings; but now I think it is about personal investments (like buying Thorium which was mentioned in another thread)

rootX said:
Either I or you misunderstood. I thought it is about large scale investments/findings; but now I think it is about personal investments (like buying Thorium which was mentioned in another thread)

I stopped myself from quoting your original post to point out that you completely misunderstood his post. He's basically trying to get tips for personal stock investment.

If anyone knew what the next Microsoft was going to be...

I got the idea from the https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=367389" thread that Greg started and thought that it would make an interesting topic for the General Discussion forum. I'm just curious to hear what the learned people of this forum think about what the next big thing might be. It doesn't mean that I'm going to rush out an sink all my money in Thorium futures. :uhh:

Last edited by a moderator:
Netflix maybe. Or maybe it's too late and that has already gotten big.

Well, technology for storing energy such as improved batteries, supercaps etc will probably become increasingly important over the next decade or so.
There was an article about a start-up working on supercaps based on nanotubes in Science (or perhaps Nature), it is one of very few companies that succeeded in getting some of Chu's money.

1. What is the purpose of "Invest in Science: What's Next?"

The purpose of "Invest in Science: What's Next?" is to encourage individuals, organizations, and governments to invest in scientific research and development in order to advance our understanding of the world and address important challenges facing society.

2. How will investing in science benefit society?

Investing in science has numerous benefits for society, including advancements in technology, improved healthcare, sustainable solutions to environmental problems, and a better understanding of the world we live in.

3. Who should be responsible for investing in science?

Investing in science is a shared responsibility between governments, private organizations, and individuals. Governments play a critical role in funding scientific research, while private companies and individuals can also contribute through donations and investments in research and development.

4. What areas of science should be prioritized for investment?

There is no single answer to this question as different areas of science have different priorities depending on the current needs of society. However, some areas that are commonly prioritized for investment include healthcare, renewable energy, climate change, and technology.

5. How can individuals support and invest in science?

Individuals can support and invest in science by staying informed about current research and advancements, donating to scientific organizations and institutions, and advocating for increased funding for science in their communities and at the government level.