Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Investigating environmental time series and algorithms

1. Aug 24, 2006 #1

I am currently investigating environmental time series and algorithms to determine when an 'unexpected' event/reading has occured in the series. I am currently constructing the gaussian probability density function (pdf) based on historical readings and checking if 'new' readings are acceptable according to a threshold in the pdf. As time goes by the pdf threshold becomes too large. Also, my time series contains daily and seasonal components.

I have received advice to use spectral analysis (using an FFT) on new month's data to compute the new month's periodicities. I have done so and now am faced with the question of how and what to do with the periodic frequencies in order to help determine what/when an unexpected reading is (according to the distribution).

I was thinking that perhaps it is possible to update a time series' pdf according to it's fourier transform?

Could some one guide on this.

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?
Draft saved Draft deleted