Does anyone know the colour for invisible text, for spoilers etc?

• Thread starter Hootenanny
  • Start date
In summary, the color for invisible text, spoilers, etc. is #E3E3E3, which is a light grey color. This was recently changed from the previous color of #ececec. Using the spoiler tag is the preferred method for hiding text, as it also works for partially decoding quotes.
Hootenanny
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Does anyone know the colour for invisible text, for spoilers etc?

~H

Physics news on Phys.org
The color is black.

<<Like this>>

Omega_6 said:
The color is black.

<<Like this>>

Well, I'm glad it's something that I can easily remember :grumpy:

Thank's omega

~H

Well, just think of it as Ed-Ed-Ed

There's a sticky in the brainteasers forum with the color code if you ever forget, which is likely (I always have to re-look it up). That's where hidden text gets used most often.

Thanks guys and gals.

~H

Not that anyone can tell, but technically it's ececec, not black.

The source clearly says :

<TD bgcolor="#EDEDED">

It does! It used to be #ececec. It must have been changed recently.

Rach3 said:
It does! It used to be #ececec. It must have been changed recently.
Nope. #black was determined very shortly after the color schemes changed...there was a thread ongoing at the time that had spoilers and is the reason we quickly looked up the replacement for using white text. Others are really close and worked okay, but #black is the one someone found from the source code.

<white>
<#black>
<#ececec>

Ed and Ec both look good.

<eeeeee>
<efefef>
<fefefe>

Lisa! said:
<efefef>
Hey, watch the language !

too bad people, #fufufu won't work...

Gokul43201 said:
:rofl: (Darn 10 character limit!)

Gokul43201 said:
Ah I just saw that!:blushing: :devil:

Doesn't invisble code work anymore here because I can see the text people typed here without hilighting?

Last edited:
I think I read somewhere that the background color had changed, therefore the "invisible" color changed as well. Currently it's #E3E3E3

Example: Invisible text

Redbelly98 said:
I think I read somewhere that the background color had changed, therefore the "invisible" color changed as well. Currently it's #E3E3E3

Example: Invisible text

...quoting partially decodes.

Thank you!

1. What is the purpose of invisible text and spoilers in text?

The purpose of invisible text and spoilers is to hide certain information or content from the reader until they choose to reveal it. This can create suspense, surprise, or allow for interactive elements in a text.

2. Why would someone want to use invisible text or spoilers?

Invisible text and spoilers can be used for a variety of reasons, such as revealing plot twists in a story, hiding answers in a quiz or puzzle, or creating a sense of mystery in a piece of writing.

3. How do you create invisible text or spoilers?

Invisible text can be created by using the "display: none" CSS property, which will hide the text from view. Spoilers can be created by using the "color: transparent" CSS property to make the text invisible, and then using JavaScript or HTML to reveal the text when clicked.

4. Can invisible text or spoilers be used for accessibility purposes?

Invisible text and spoilers should not be used for accessibility purposes as they can be difficult for individuals with visual impairments or screen readers to access. Instead, alternative methods such as using descriptive alt text or providing a transcript should be used.

5. Is there a specific color for invisible text or spoilers?

No, there is no specific color for invisible text or spoilers. The color can be set to any desired color, including transparent, depending on the purpose and design of the text. It is important to consider the contrast and readability of the text regardless of the chosen color.