Ipad or classical textbook for notes?

In summary: Of course, do whatever is more comfortable or more convenient.In summary, old-fashioned paper is preferred by some because it depends on the amount of information being written. Other people find that it is more convenient to work digitally.
DasTohl
Hi,
I want your opinion regarding modern notetaking technology. Is it better than using the classical pen & paper? As a physics student it would be an advantage to save my notes in the cloud.

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome, I'm quite aged (57) so I choose old-fashioned paper. I think it depends on the amount of the information. If you are serious, save in the cloud

mcastillo356 said:
Welcome, I'm quite aged (57) so I choose old-fashioned paper. I think it depends on the amount of the information. If you are serious, save in the cloud
Thanks! I also prefer old-fashoned paper. And compared to an ipad, it never runs out of battery ;)

Likes Bystander
For me, I work on various handwritten calculations... sometimes based on a passages from a book or paper.
With a digital notebook, it is easier for me to include graphics and calculations from (say) wolframalpha or Maple, etc... I can more easily resize and re-color my handwritten calculations and drawings. I can copy portions... especially if working on a long algebraic derivation.

In my digital documents, I use a stylus and the handwritten ink is in a format that is treated like "digital ink"... as opposed to merely marks (as if done with a paint program).

I can stop and resume later... and I could organize digital documents better than sheets of paper.
I can (and have) gone back to old calculations that I had put aside many years ago...
(I also have found old calculations on paper that have the pencil marks smeared. It was in an old box that was stored away. By contrast, calculations on digital documents can be easily replicated and carried around on a flashdrive or kept in the cloud.)

I've been using a tabletPC since they came out (around 2003).
(Here's an old thread https://www.physicsforums.com/threa...science-teaching-blog-entry-from-2006.767963/ ). I have lecture notes from courses I have taught since then... they came from the board notes in class I wrote using my tabletPC and a projector. (I uploaded pdfs to the course-management website.)

Of course, do whatever is more comfortable or more convenient.
I have gone the digital route. Certainly, at times, I use paper... but many more times, I work digitally.

Likes DasTohl, Klystron and berkeman
Have you tried this? Most people can write much faster using pen and paper.

Likes DasTohl
Vanadium 50 said:
Have you tried this? Most people can write much faster using pen and paper.
I was taught that physically writing notes aided memory retention better than typing.

Likes DasTohl and DaveC426913
For me, being highly visual, layout is a very strong tool for organizing thoughts/notes.
Text size, location, heaviness, etc. say as much about the information I'm writing as the words.
So a pen and paper are far more rich and expressive than typing.

Also, when not actually writing, I can mindlessly doodle in the margins, which is critical.

Likes DasTohl, BillTre, robphy and 2 others

1. What are the benefits of using an iPad for taking notes compared to a classical textbook?

The benefits of using an iPad for taking notes include the ability to easily organize and access notes, the option to type or write notes, the ability to add multimedia elements such as images and videos, and the convenience of having all notes in one device.

2. Are there any disadvantages to using an iPad for taking notes?

Some potential disadvantages of using an iPad for taking notes include the need for a reliable internet connection, the possibility of distractions from other apps, and the potential for technical issues or malfunctions.

3. Which option is more cost-effective in the long run, an iPad or a classical textbook?

In the long run, an iPad may be more cost-effective since it can store multiple textbooks and notes, eliminating the need to purchase physical textbooks. However, this may vary depending on the cost of the iPad and the number of textbooks needed.

4. Can an iPad be used for note-taking in all subjects, including math and science?

Yes, an iPad can be used for note-taking in all subjects. There are various apps and tools available that allow for writing or typing equations and diagrams, making it suitable for math and science notes as well.

5. Are there any accessibility features on an iPad that can aid in note-taking?

Yes, there are various accessibility features on an iPad that can aid in note-taking, such as voice-to-text dictation, text-to-speech, and customizable keyboard and display settings for individuals with visual or motor impairments.