IQ scores and learning disabilities.

• Thread starter NafeesR
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Iq
In summary: IQ tests were only created to determine learning disabilities.IQ tests were only created to determine learning disabilities.
NafeesR
Is it not counter productive to use IQ scores to determine whether a student has a learning disability? Many studies have shown that a learning disability can have a significant effect on IQ (which also leads to the discussion whether IQ scores are effective methods of determining intelligence).

If you can't tell already I do have a bias on this matter because I took an IQ test in 4th grade and I was shown to have a learning disability (slower motor skills). I was also shown to have advanced mathematical and logical abilities.

Physics news on Phys.org
NafeesR said:
Is it not counter productive to use IQ scores to determine whether a student has a learning disability? Many studies have shown that a learning disability can have a significant effect on IQ (which also leads to the discussion whether IQ scores are effective methods of determining intelligence).

If you can't tell already I do have a bias on this matter because I took an IQ test in 4th grade and I was shown to have a learning disability (slower motor skills). I was also shown to have advanced mathematical and logical abilities.
IQ tests were only created to determine learning disabilities.

Evo said:
IQ tests were only created to determine learning disabilities.

Wrong it was developed to identify mental retardation which is completely different than a learning disability.

I don't know a lot in this area, but perhaps they use IQ tests to detect the presence of a learning disability.

NafeesR said:
Wrong it was developed to identify mental retardation which is completely different than a learning disability.
I was being polite, you yourself said the test revealed a learning disability. It can identify problems.

Is there some point to this thread aside from a personal grievance?

Last edited:
Evo said:
I was being polite.

In what way please clarify?

NafeesR said:

yes, it was developed to identify mental retardation.IQ tests can detect certain abilities. But just because a person has a high IQ it does not say anything about his/her motivation or success later in life.

NafeesR said:
In what way please clarify?
To not insinuate that you were mentally retarded due to a low score.

Evo said:
To not insinuate that you were mentally retarded due to a low score.

I did not have a low score, my score was above average. I was simply much lower in one area than others. Clearly you are not knowledgeable in the area of learning disabilities.

NafeesR said:
I did not have a low score, my score was above average. I was simply much lower in one area than others.
Then what's your beef?

Evo said:
Then what's your beef?

I have no "beef," I am simply questioning the majority. If no one were to question the majority then there would have been no advances in science.

EDIT:
I can see how I might have been taken as defensive.

NafeesR said:
I have no "beef," I am simply questioning the majority. If no one were to question the majority then there would have been no advances in science.

EDIT:
I can see how I might have been taken as defensive.
That's fair. Do you think they managed to assess you correctly or incorrectly?

Evo said:
That's fair. Do you think they managed to assess you correctly or incorrectly?

I do think they assessed me correctly, I don't think they have assessed everyone correctly. I think that it is only a matter of time before someone discovers a better way. For understanding intelligence in general I mean.

NafeesR said:

I don't know the whole method used but I'm sure they don't rely exclusively on an IQ test to determine a learning disability. There must be supplemental evaluations involved. In any event, the real point is to have some kind of data on paper that can be used to get someone access to any dedicated programs and financial help they made need if they have a disability.

A lot of people who receive a negative sounding classification of any kind may misunderstand it as a sort of officially sanctioned social stigma. (In the wrong hands it can have that effect, but that's incidental.) The actual point, is to have something quantified on paper according to some defensible, accepted standards to free up money and resources, or justify diversion into an appropriate learning situation. Legal red tape.

As to IQ tests; they're an excellent indicator as to how well a person may be expected to do on future IQ tests.

IQ tests? It is not that simple:wink: anymore.

http://www.best-career-match.com/multiple-intelligences.html

Last edited by a moderator:
the last time I took an IQ test was around 4th grade as well. The results weren't pretty, I shouldn't even be able to tie my own shoelaces. But my teachers also realize my marks consistently rank among the top 5 in the class.

I ended up getting a lecture on not taking the test seriously.

You won't find a large fanbase for IQ tests around here, ironically perhaps, among folks who probably "tested well."

A high IQ score, plus a dollar, will get you a coke (as long as you have another quarter).

Related to IQ scores and learning disabilities.

1. What is an IQ score?

An IQ score is a measure of a person's cognitive ability, or intelligence. It is typically obtained through standardized tests and is used to compare an individual's intelligence to that of their peers.

2. How is an IQ score calculated?

IQ scores are calculated by comparing an individual's performance on a standardized test with the performance of others in the same age group. The average IQ score is 100, with scores falling within a normal distribution curve.

3. Can a person with a learning disability have a high IQ score?

Yes, it is possible for a person with a learning disability to have a high IQ score. IQ scores measure overall intelligence, but do not take into account specific learning disabilities. Therefore, a person with a learning disability may have a high IQ in certain areas but struggle in others.

4. Are IQ scores and learning disabilities related?

While IQ scores and learning disabilities are not directly related, individuals with learning disabilities may have lower IQ scores due to the impact of their disability on their test performance. However, it is important to note that IQ scores do not determine a person's intelligence or potential for success.

5. Can IQ scores change over time?

Yes, IQ scores can change over time. They are not fixed and can be influenced by various factors such as education, life experiences, and brain development. It is also possible for individuals to improve their IQ scores through learning and practice.