Iron core for Electrostatic coil

In summary, a Stubblefield coil is an experimental device that uses a combination of bare wires and a counter rotating wheel to generate a magnetic field. The coil is meant to be used with a laser to create power.
FSumm
I am just an electrician doing experimental work with a Stubblefield coil. From what I've read the most common steel is 1018. If Stubblefield used a common bolt I assume this would fall into the 1018 realm. Would the 1018 iron core be better cold rolled or hot rolled for the magnetic collapse as well as the least amount of magnetic retention? Should I use a different type of steel?
I have an unknown steel 4 inch 3/4" sample rod that I put on 2 magnetron toroidal magnets overnight. I then put it up against an old color monitor and it showed no magnetic field at all. I did the same with a galvanized iron wire and that does show a magnetic field.
Would this be a good test for iron cores or should an electromagnet be made to see if it retains the magnetic field? Thank you for any help!

Physics news on Phys.org
WOW, my first question was going to be what is a "Stubblefield coil"? I Googled and came up with some "marginal" science applications.

The purpose of the steel is for a iron core? Many iron core transformers are "laminated" sheets, not solid. This reduces eddy current losses.

As far as the "iron" itself, perhaps a higher concentration is better? I'm not sure how hot rolled or cold rolled affects core performance? An interesting question that I'm sure transformer manufacturers know the answer to...

Here is a wiki link, sounds like "soft" iron is the way to go, I assume that means "low carbon":

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnetic_core

Last edited:
Yes the 1018 steel has a large iron content and low carbon. I am just wondering about the hot or cold aspects and how their differing internal structures would affect the field collapse and if one has a greater degree of remanence.

Hello FSumm,

The Stubblefield Coil is a reality, and it appears to work although at this date, we are not very sure how.

You will need to wind 2 bare wires, a Copper wire, which must be insulated in cotton thread someway, and a bare steel wire.
Build a counter rotating wheel setup with 3 cotton reels on each disk, feed the copper wire through the axle, go and search for my machine on OU to give you some idea of what you need etc etc.

Wind both together wires in Bifilar, (2 together) very tightly, but be very careful you don't short them together.
Between EVERY layer of turns, place a cotton layer the full width of the turns with a bed sheet or pillow case.
Then continue the winds.

No one seems to know how many layers or total winds, to make up the coil.

It seems there is an interaction between the Iron and the Copper wires, when they are damp, too wet, reaction decays, too dry reactioon decays. The reaction is between dissimilar metals, the current/voltage builds up, then reaches a trip over to off threashold, the magnetic field collapses, the secondary coil (which I haven't discribed) absorbs the energy and produces power.

Thats it in a nutshell.

Now go to it and make your self powering Stubblefield Coil, once you see it running for months, powering a motor or light, then you will understand the enormious invention is in front of you.
Good luck with it.

Google "Lasersaber Stubblefield coil" to see his working and his youtube Parts 1 to 5 on how to build one. There I have answered all your questions :)

I would recommend using a different type of steel for your iron core in the electrostatic coil. While 1018 steel may be a common choice, it may not have the desired magnetic properties for your experiment. Instead, I suggest researching and selecting a steel with known magnetic properties that align with your specific needs.

In terms of cold rolled vs. hot rolled, it is difficult to determine which would be better without knowing more about your experiment and the specific properties you are looking for in the magnetic collapse and retention. I recommend consulting with a materials engineer or conducting further research to determine which type of steel would be most suitable for your experiment.

As for your test using the unknown steel rod and the galvanized iron wire, it may not be a reliable way to test the magnetic properties of the steel. An electromagnet would be a more accurate and controlled way to test the retention of the magnetic field. I also suggest consulting with a physicist or materials scientist to better understand the results of your test and how they may relate to your experiment.

What is an iron core for an electrostatic coil?

An iron core for an electrostatic coil is a type of magnetic core used to enhance the magnetic field produced by the coil. It is made up of a ferromagnetic material, usually iron, and is placed in the center of the coil.

How does an iron core affect the magnetic field of an electrostatic coil?

The presence of an iron core in an electrostatic coil increases the magnetic flux density and therefore, the strength of the magnetic field. This is due to the high magnetic permeability of iron, which allows it to concentrate the magnetic field lines.

What are the advantages of using an iron core in an electrostatic coil?

Using an iron core in an electrostatic coil increases the efficiency and effectiveness of the coil. It also allows for a stronger and more precise magnetic field, making it useful in various applications such as inductors, transformers, and electromagnets.

Are there any disadvantages to using an iron core in an electrostatic coil?

One disadvantage of using an iron core is that it can cause energy losses due to hysteresis and eddy currents. It can also increase the weight and size of the coil, making it less practical for certain applications.

How do I choose the right iron core for my electrostatic coil?

The choice of iron core for your electrostatic coil depends on factors such as the desired magnetic field strength, frequency of operation, and power requirements. It is important to consider the core material, shape, and size to ensure optimal performance and efficiency of the coil.