Iron in Mesophere: Impact on Global Warming

• Thread starter verdigris
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Iron
In summary, the concentration of iron in the mesosphere does not change significantly and can not effect global warming.
verdigris
Does the concentration of iron in the mesophere change significantly and
can it effect global warming?

Earth sciences news on Phys.org
I do not know about iron in the mesosphere. There are many other more active gasses, elements, and processes in the mesosphere which i can imagine to be more important in the effect of climate. However, when you append the global warming as questino, i must make you realize that everything affects global warming. Its a system-> the entire atmosphere sun, galactic rays, intergalactic rays, universe. Now, the question is how much of each and how they are coupled...and what we can do about it.

iron? as in Fe?

I'm sorry, but I didn't know that there was any iron in the mesosphere. Maybe you meant ions?

If you didn't & I'm just being too presumptious could you perhaps provide a link?

Cheers

OK, I just did a wiki and found out that there's a load of iron there from burnt up meteors.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mesosphere

As for the effects on global warming, who knows? I don't lol...
The fact is though, that the number of meteors used to be a lot higher back in the early days (maybe we didn't even have a mesosphere then?) and has since tailed off to a more-or-less constant rate of bombardment. I guess that if the residence time for iron is low enough (considering it's so dense I don't think it could stay there so long?) some kind of equilibrium would be reached and the level would be pretty much constant.

Whatever, the fact is we have no influence or control over this so I doubt it's really at the top of anyones scientific agenda.

1. How does iron in the mesosphere impact global warming?

The presence of iron in the mesosphere can have a significant impact on global warming. Iron can react with ozone in the mesosphere, leading to the production of iron oxide and molecular oxygen. This reaction releases heat, which can contribute to global warming.

2. Where does the iron in the mesosphere come from?

The majority of iron in the mesosphere comes from meteoroids and micrometeoroids that enter Earth's atmosphere. These objects contain iron and other metals that can be vaporized and deposited in the mesosphere during their entry into the atmosphere.

3. How does iron in the mesosphere affect the Earth's climate?

The presence of iron in the mesosphere can impact the Earth's climate in multiple ways. The reaction between iron and ozone releases heat, contributing to global warming. Additionally, iron can also act as a catalyst for other chemical reactions in the atmosphere, leading to the production of greenhouse gases such as nitrous oxide and methane.

4. Can the amount of iron in the mesosphere change over time?

Yes, the amount of iron in the mesosphere can vary over time. The influx of meteoroids and micrometeoroids can fluctuate, leading to changes in the amount of iron deposited in the mesosphere. Additionally, human activities such as space launches and industrial processes can also introduce iron into the mesosphere.

5. Are there any potential solutions to mitigate the impact of iron in the mesosphere on global warming?

One potential solution is to reduce the amount of iron entering the mesosphere by limiting human activities that release iron into the atmosphere. Additionally, further research is needed to better understand the role of iron in the mesosphere and its impact on global warming, which can help inform potential mitigation strategies.