1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Irrational denominator limit derivative

1. Sep 11, 2006 #1

Can anyone provide some information for this formula?

I tried rationalizing the denominator and cross multiplication and combining terms, and also multiplying by the conjugate of the demoninator, what am I doing wrong?

[tex]f(x) = \frac{1}{\sqrt{x + 2}} \; \; \; \text{find} \; f'(a)[/tex]

[tex]f'(a) = \lim_{h \rightarrow 0} (\frac{1}{\sqrt{(a + h) + 2}} - \frac{1}{\sqrt{a + 2}}) \frac{1}{h}[/tex]

Last edited: Sep 12, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 12, 2006 #2
    Ok. dont write it any more complicated than it already is. It's actaully not very hard...

write it as [tex]f(x)=(x+2)^{-1/2}[/tex] and apply the chain rule. Or power Rule...I don't know them by name. Especially since x has no coefficient it's very "clean".

to answer the "what I'm doing wrong" part...you don't want to apply the [tex]\frac{f(x+h)-f(x)} {h}[/tex] unless absolutely everything else fails. I mean once you're past chapter 2 calculus AB it becomes unused until maybe way later which I'd not know.
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2006
  4. Sep 12, 2006 #3

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Robokapp, you should consider the possibility that Orion1 is required to use the basic definition of the derivative for practice. Of course, if that's the case, then this is school work so I am moving this thread to the homework section!

Orion1, first subtract the two fractions, getting
    [tex]\frac{\sqrt{x+2}- \sqrt{x+h+2}}{\sqrt{x+2}\sqrt{x+h+2}}[/tex]
    then try "rationalizing the numerator": multiply both numerator and denominator by
    [tex]\sqrt{x+2}+ \sqrt{x+h+2}[/tex]
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?