What is the value of an irrational infinite sum with a unique pattern?

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving an infinite sum with nested square roots. The problem does not follow any ordinary pattern and is divergent for all values of a except zero. The individual terms of the sum converge at (1+\sqrt{1+4a})/2 for a>0. The original problem that the conversation arose from involved solving a nested square root expression and attempting to expand it to the given problem, but with no success. The conversation then shifts to discussing a new problem, but it is also divergent. The speaker expresses frustration at not being able to construct a problem that converges with the given criteria.
Mentallic
Homework Helper
I'm curious to answer (or at least reasonably understand) what the answer to:

[tex]\sqrt{a}+\sqrt{a+\sqrt{a}}+\sqrt{a+\sqrt{a+\sqrt{a}}}+...[/tex]

might be, where a>0.

It doesn't follow any ordinary pattern, such as an arithmetic or geometric progression. Also, if there is for any reason an easily derivable answer only for certain values of 'a', then that would also be interesting to hear.

edit: This problem diverges as hamster143 has noticed.
Instead, [tex]\sqrt{a}+\sqrt{a-\sqrt{a}}+\sqrt{a-\sqrt{a-\sqrt{a}}}+...[/tex] where a>1

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Have you experimented with it at all?

For example, looked at the first few terms for a chosen value of a?

Yes I basically stared at the problem for a=2 and came up wth absolutely nothing. This is where I realized it's not a geometric sum.

The problem arose from when I was solving [tex]\sqrt{a+\sqrt{a+\sqrt{a}}}...[/tex] and thought if I could expand it to this new problem. However, I'm out of luck.

Are you sure you got the expression right? As stated in your post, the sum diverges for all a except zero. Individual terms converge at [tex](1+\sqrt{1+4a})/2[/tex].

Oh it diverges, thanks for spotting that. A big wasted effort that was...

I think I'll change the question to:

[tex]\sqrt{a}+\sqrt{a-\sqrt{a}}+\sqrt{a-\sqrt{a-\sqrt{a}}}+...[/tex], a>1

That still diverges, terms converge at [tex](-1+\sqrt{1+4a})/2[/tex].

How frustrating. I can't even construct a problem that converges with the simple criteria that it be an infinite sum and the nth term having n nested surds among it.

I'll come back when I have a legitimate question.

1. What is an irrational infinite sum?

An irrational infinite sum is a mathematical series that continues indefinitely, with each term being an irrational number. This means that the sum of all the terms in the series is also an irrational number.

2. How is an irrational infinite sum different from a rational infinite sum?

The main difference between an irrational infinite sum and a rational infinite sum is that the terms in a rational infinite sum are all rational numbers, meaning they can be expressed as fractions, while the terms in an irrational infinite sum are all irrational numbers, meaning they cannot be expressed as fractions.

3. Can an irrational infinite sum have a finite value?

No, an irrational infinite sum will always have an infinite value. This is because as the number of terms in the series increases, the sum will also increase and never reach a finite value.

4. What is an example of an irrational infinite sum?

An example of an irrational infinite sum is the sum of the reciprocals of the perfect squares, also known as the Basel problem. This series can be written as 1/1 + 1/4 + 1/9 + 1/16 + ... and its sum is π^2 / 6, an irrational number.

5. How are irrational infinite sums used in real life?

Irrational infinite sums are used in various fields of science and mathematics, such as in calculating the value of certain physical phenomena like electric fields and radioactive decay. They are also used in financial mathematics, statistics, and data analysis.