1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Irrationality of the square root of a prime

1. Sep 13, 2005 #1
    I saw a proof saying the root of a prime is always irrational, and it went something like this:

sqrt(r) = p/q where p/q is reduced
    r = p^2/q^2
    r*q^2 = p^2 therefore, r divides p
    so define p = c*r
    r*q^2 = (c*r)^2 = c^2*r^2
    q^2 = c^2*r therefore, r divides q also
    since r divides p and q, p/q is not reduced and we have a contradition so sqrt(r) is irrational.

Now my question is, assuming the above is correct, why does this work for prime r and not, say, r = 4.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 13, 2005 #2
    This proof is based on the fact that a power has the same factors than it's root. Since 2 is prime, then it must be a factor of p. But with the number 4 this is no longer revelant since 4=2x2 and it would be fallascious to say 4 is a factor of p.

4. Sep 13, 2005 #3
    I figured that's where the difference was but I couldn't quite see why. Thanks.

5. Sep 14, 2005 #4

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

another point to bear in mind is the "real" definition of primeness:

p is prime if whenever p diveds ab p divides one onf a or b. 4 fails this test.

here is another way of showing the same result:

suppose p=a^2/b^2, then rearranging pa^2=b^2. By the uniqueness of prime decomposition since the RHS has an even number of prime factors and the left an odd number we have a contradiction.

6. Sep 15, 2005 #5

Tide

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The argument is more general than that. If p is an natural number that is not a perfect square then its square root is irrational.

7. Sep 15, 2005 #6

SGT

There is no way to express 4 as p/q, where p/q is reduced, except for the trivial case q = 1.

8. Sep 15, 2005 #7
    If every rational number can be expressed as the ratio of two integers, I don't see why 4 = 4/1 is trivial.

9. Apr 26, 2006 #8
    sqrt(r) = p/q where p/q is reduced
    r = p^2/q^2
    r*q^2 = p^2 therefore, r divides p

Hi, can you tell me why r divides p? Why not q^2=P^2/r ? Please teach me. Thank you very much!

10. Apr 26, 2006 #9

shmoe

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

r*q^2=p^2 means r divides p^2. LeBrad was assuming r was a prime, so r divides p^2 means r divides p (see matt's post for the definition of prime).

11. Apr 27, 2006 #10

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

How about this ?

In the above, the RHS has an odd number of divisors while the LHS has an even number, unless p is a perfect square.

12. Apr 29, 2006 #11

mathwonk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

here is another similar proof:

if sqrt(p) = a/b, is in lowest tems, then p/1 = a^2/b^2 is also in lowest terms.

but lowest terms is unique so a^2 = p and b^2 = 1, i.e. p must be a perfect square.

13. Apr 29, 2006 #12

mathwonk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

here is another one: if X^2 - p =0 has a rational solution then by the rational roots theorem, then if p is prime, the solution is p, -p, 1, or -1, none of which work.

14. Apr 27, 2011 #13
    matt grime's method is elegant! I have never seen it done that way...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?