1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Irreducibility Question (Rationals, Eisenstein!)

1. Dec 1, 2005 #1
    Hello. I have this question from the book:

Prove that the polynomial [tex]x^4 + 2x^2 + 2[/tex] is irreducible in Q[x]. (Q being the rational fancy Q)

So I used Eisenstein Criterion (because we are dealing with the rationals) and said that the coefficents are: 1 (for x^4), 2(for x^2), 2 with the last 2 coefficients being the important ones. So I then said that lets use 2 as the prime, and then 2 | 2 (the middle coefficient), and 4 (2^2) does not divide 2 (the last coefficient), so [tex]x^4 + 2x^2 + 2[/tex] is not reducible in Q[x].

That seems quite acceptable to me, but the book has no examples, did I do the problem correctly? Danke!
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2005
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 1, 2005 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

All the coefficients are important, 2 divides the x^3 and x coefficients trivially. More importantly, there's a condition about the lead coefficient that you haven't mentioned...
  4. Dec 1, 2005 #3
    Thanks, I did not think about those. However, I am not sure what you are talking about with the leading coefficient (I am guessing you are talking about the 1 in front of x^4).

In my book the definition of The Eisenstein Criterion is:

Let [tex]f(x) = x^n + a_{1}x^{n-1} + .. + a_{n}[/tex] be a polynomial with integer coefficients. Suppose that there is some prime p such that [tex]p|a_{1}, p|a_{2}, ..., p|a_{n}[/tex], but p^2 does not divide [tex]a_{n}[/tex] Then f(x) is irreducible in Q[x].

Hmm... I just looked in another book, and on wikipedia, at the definition of The Eisenstein Criterion and they both mention a property about the first coefficient (1 for x^4); specifically: p cannot divide the first coefficient(1 for x^4). Which looks true too. Not sure why one of my books says that and the other does not. Thanks
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2005
  5. Dec 2, 2005 #4

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Your book is assuming a "monic" polynomial- the "leading coefficient" (the coefficient of the highest power) is 1 and no prime divides that so it isn't necessary to mention it. Since factoring out a constant doesn affect irreducibility, the two forms are equivalent.
  6. Dec 2, 2005 #5
    You are absolutely correct, I missed that part! Thanks.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?