Is 19 Credit Hours Too Much for an Early College Physics Major?

• Thread starter Gustafo
  • Start date
In summary, the speaker is an early college student who is planning their schedule for next semester. They are taking a total of 19 credits, including Calculus 3, Differential Equations, Physics with Calculus, Intro to Economics, and Art Appreciation. They are a physics major and believe their schedule is manageable, despite their mother's skepticism. They are confident in their ability to handle math and physics classes but struggle with classes they do not enjoy. They are unsure if their schedule is doable and ask for others' opinions. Previous experiences with a similar workload have been difficult due to the rigor of the courses and their time management skills. The speaker acknowledges that the workload may be overwhelming but believes they can handle it.
Gustafo
I am an early college student in my junior year and this spring I am taking 14 credit hours, and I have just way too much free time. I have Composition 2, US history 2, Ethics, and Calculus 2. Next semester I am planning this schedule:

Calculus 3 - 5 credits
Differential Equations - 4 credits
Physics/w Calc 1 - 3 credits
Physics/w Calc 1 lab -1 credit
Intro to Economics 1 - 3 credits
Art Appreciation - 3 credits
For a total of 19!

My mother is skeptical that I can handle this, but I don't think it is bad as it looks. I love math and I have read all the way through my calculus book and have got most of it down pat. I have already taken a good physics course while I was still attending my high school so I am not worried about the Phy/w calc class. Plus the only pre rec for that class is calc 1 at my school, so it won't be anything crazy advanced. Three of the 19 credits are in art appreciation which is a cake walk, and I am only taking it because the honors college wants me too.

Also, I am a physics major, well technically not because as an early college student I can't officially declare, and the schedules I have seen that most physics majors take seem much more daunting than this. I have seen kids taking a combo of mechanics, thermodynamics, and fluid dynamics all at once. If they can do that I can take calc 3, physics 1, and differential eq. and be fine.

The classes that are the most difficult for me have always been the classes I don’t like. For example I hate the Comp 2 and US history classes that I am in with a passion. They give a mind-numbing amount of busy work and then test me on my ability to regurgitate the facts and opinions of others that they forced down my throat! I actually see the schedule I wrote up above and drool! I will actually be taking classes I am interested in, and if I am interested in something I don’t see it as work when I have to learn it and practice it.

Anyway what do you guys think? Is this a doable schedule? Unless Differential Equations is just this otherworldly monster of a math class that I could never imagine, I think this is very doable.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
It's doable if you don't have a job.

Forensics said:
It's doable if you don't have a job.

I don't.

If you have good time management skills and you can learn math and physics at a reasonable pace (you should know this from your earlier calc classes), it's doable. You will have to devote large chunks of your day and weekends to studying though. Is that Physics with calc 1 the mechanics course or the electricity and magnetism course?

Hercuflea said:
If you have good time management skills and you can learn math and physics at a reasonable pace (you should know this from your earlier calc classes), it's doable. You will have to devote large chunks of your day and weekends to studying though. Is that Physics with calc 1 the mechanics course or the electricity and magnetism course?

The Physics w/calc 1 is the mechanics course at my school.

I took 19 hours last semester, and it wasn't fun but I passed all my classes with decent grades (but not as good as I hoped). I was pretty burned out by about the 8 week mark and finals week nearly gave me a nervous breakdown.

Calculus 3
Physics 1 + lab
Chemistry 1 + lab
Western Civ 1
English Comp 1

[Quadratic];4652341 said:
I took 19 hours last semester, and it wasn't fun but I passed all my classes with decent grades (but not as good as I hoped). I was pretty burned out by about the 8 week mark and finals week nearly gave me a nervous breakdown.

Calculus 3
Physics 1 + lab
Chemistry 1 + lab
Western Civ 1
English Comp 1

What was it that made it so difficult for you? The Rigor of the courses or the sheer amount of studying because of all the classes?

Gustafo said:
What was it that made it so difficult for you? The Rigor of the courses or the sheer amount of studying because of all the classes?

My calculus class was very rigorous, and very difficult. I am a math major that aced calc 1&2 with flying colors in my sleep. I really enjoyed my teacher and I learned a lot, but he is a known gpa killer. Most difficult exams I've ever taken, period.

Other than that, I'm rather bad at managing my time, and I was not expecting my physics or chemistry classes to be any sort of challenge. Turns out I really suck at chemistry, and I kinda suck at physics (which is my minor btw). My history class is with a professor that is known to be very difficult but people recommend him because he's so awesome and his lectures are fun. In fact I'm taking the 2nd part of the class with him again this semester because he's the best teacher I've ever had.

So basically I'm lazy and a bit arrogant and I severely underestimated the workload. You can do it, and a hard working student could probably do very well under the circumstances, but I'm not all that hard working. Just know what you are getting into.

Likes 1 person
You know how well you manage your time a lot more than we do. That is, from my experience, an overload situation - assuming that a standard course load at your university is 15 credit-hours. But from another point of view, it's really still just five courses (I'm counting the physics lab in with the physics course).

One thing to keep in mind is that with problem-based courses (math and physics) the time required to complete assignments and homework can be a lot more difficult to predict than with arts courses. When you're given so many chapters to read, or a paper of a particular length to write, you can get pretty good at guessing how long those tasks will take you. With problems, sometimes they go quick. Sometimes they drag out.

There's nothing that stands out to me as an objective "don't do it" flag. If you think you can handle this load then go for it. It may be a good thing to learn early on where your limits are.

Likes 1 person
Many engineering programs have 19 hours not for one semester, but virtually the entire undergraduate course.

As an example:

http://www.webb.edu/curriculum.html

Likes 1 person
Choppy said:
One thing to keep in mind is that with problem-based courses (math and physics) the time required to complete assignments and homework can be a lot more difficult to predict than with arts courses. When you're given so many chapters to read, or a paper of a particular length to write, you can get pretty good at guessing how long those tasks will take you. With problems, sometimes they go quick. Sometimes they drag out.

You are quite right about the problem based courses; it is much harder to predict how long they will take. Thank you for the insight.

Last edited by a moderator:
How are your general education courses (Art appreciation and intro to economics). In my experiences, classes like that can either be blow-off classes, or require so much homework and blind memorization that it drives you crazy.

I don't think it is impossible, but it will require very good time management. Without a job you can focus on your classes. I doubt free time will exist in your vocabulary for the semester though.

I took 18-20 credit hours all throughout college. You'll be fine if you're a hard worker!

samnorris93 said:
How are your general education courses (Art appreciation and intro to economics). In my experiences, classes like that can either be blow-off classes, or require so much homework and blind memorization that it drives you crazy.

At my school they are blow off classes. Art Appreciation is basically an A for showing up. Into to economics is very easy; the only thing people find challenging is that they need to understand basic algebra, but that isn't going to be a problem for me.

1. Is 19 credit hours too much for one semester?

It depends on the individual's capabilities and workload. Some students may be able to handle 19 credit hours, while others may find it overwhelming. It is important to consider your time management skills and the difficulty of the courses before deciding on 19 credit hours.

2. Will taking 19 credit hours affect my GPA?

Taking 19 credit hours may increase your workload and potentially affect your GPA if you are unable to manage your time effectively. It is important to prioritize your courses and seek help from professors or tutors if needed to maintain a good academic standing.

3. How many hours of studying should I expect for 19 credit hours?

The amount of time needed for studying will vary based on the individual and the difficulty of the courses. Generally, it is recommended to spend 2-3 hours studying for every hour spent in class. Therefore, for 19 credit hours, you can expect to spend 38-57 hours per week studying.

4. Are there any benefits to taking 19 credit hours?

Taking 19 credit hours can allow you to finish your degree faster and potentially save money on tuition. It can also demonstrate your ability to handle a heavy workload and time management skills to future employers.

5. What should I do if I am struggling with 19 credit hours?

If you are struggling with 19 credit hours, it is important to communicate with your professors and academic advisor. They can provide guidance and support, and may suggest dropping a course or reducing your course load. It is also important to prioritize your mental and physical well-being and seek help if needed.