Is a Chemistry Minor Necessary for a Physics Major?

In summary, I would drop the chemistry minor and take separate inorganic and metal chem classes to increase my chances of becoming an astrophysicist.
Jeff6851
Hello, everyone. I've had many of my questions answered by these forums before but this one was a little specific so I decided to make an account here.

I am a third year physics major with a chemistry minor. I enjoy chemistry and feel that it can help me down the road. As far as my university is concerned, I have all the math classes that I need (Calc I-III, Diff Eq, Lin Alg) but I know I need more such as advanced linear algebra, partial differential equations and real analysis. Another problem, in my DE course (at a community college) we did not have time to cover Laplace transforms.

Should I keep or drop my chemistry minor? If I keep it, then I have organic chemistry next spring and summer, then biochem fall 2014 and spring 2015. If I drop it, then I just have Chem II this semester as far as chemistry classes go. I will also have to take more programming classes.

I am in no hurry to take these classes as I only have University Physics III and Electronic Measurements next spring and don't have to worry about relativity, QM or anything until a year from now but I'd like to know if most of these math subjects are best saved for graduate school (I am not very educated on how physics grad school works other than you learn how to do research) or if these are courses for undergrads.

Sorry for the long post, just wanted to get all the details in there. Thanks for any help!

Physics news on Phys.org
I would drop the chemistry minor; I used to be a chemistry minor but I dropped it after taking a second semester of chemistry. It just wasn't worth it. The extra programming courses will be far more useful. More linear algebra and PDEs will be useful, but real analysis - no. There isn't a problem with your DE course not covering Laplace transforms. The math you need will usually be covered in your physics courses, but extra courses at the undergrad level (e.g. PDEs) will help if you can fit them in your schedule. Otherwise, I would just consult other texts to understand the math theory.

More information is needed for best guidance, like your career plans. Keep forward with the Chemistry minor. You could, with a strong background in Physics (your major field) and other sciences and programming, work for some companies as a scientist

I would keep the minor but maybe do separate chem classes. I feel like metal and inorganic chemistry might be bearer to your career goals if you like engineering in any way.

Thanks for the replies, everyone. As for my career plans, I want to become an astrophysicist (I will choose more specific goals when I get further into my education). Even if they do teach the math in the physics classes, I understand it much better if I have had the math before and have gone into detail.

Related to Is a Chemistry Minor Necessary for a Physics Major?

What is a chemistry minor?

A chemistry minor is a specific set of courses that a student can take as part of their college degree program to gain a basic understanding of chemistry.

Why should I consider keeping a chemistry minor?

Having a chemistry minor can complement your major and provide a well-rounded education. It can also open up additional career opportunities.

What are the benefits of dropping a chemistry minor?

Dropping a chemistry minor can free up time and energy to focus on your major or other interests. It can also potentially reduce your workload and course requirements.

Will dropping a chemistry minor affect my career options?

It depends on your desired career path. If you plan on pursuing a career in a field related to chemistry, having a minor can be beneficial. However, if your career goals do not involve chemistry, dropping the minor may not have a significant impact.

How do I decide whether to keep or drop my chemistry minor?

Consider your personal interests, career goals, and academic workload. Talk to an advisor or mentor for guidance and weigh the pros and cons before making a decision.