Is a Dual Degree in EE and Math a Good Idea?

In summary, Austin recommends that a high school senior consider getting a dual degree in mathematics and engineering. He provides some reasons why this may be a good idea, and warns the listener not to get too carried away with the idea.
sheldonrocks97
Gold Member
I am a high school senior going into university this fall. I have completed many general education credits and I am going in as a freshman with 68 credits already completed.

Because of this, I am interested in instead of taking 2 1/2 or 3 years in university I would be willing to take 4 years to get a dual degree, since my scholarship is good for that long.

I was thinking about getting my dual degree in mathematics. Is that a good idea? Do you have any suggestions of what I should get a dual degree in? Let me know what you have to say.

Thanks,

Austin

Physics news on Phys.org
Higher math can be really beneficial in EE, especially if you deal with computers. Other useful fields are computer science, physics, and mechanical engineering.

But, before you commit to anything like this, you should study the course schedules for your department. You'll probably find that certain core classes are always offered at a specific time, and that some required classes are not offered every semester. You may run into serious scheduling conflicts that could drag your college career out much longer than you expect if you don't plan ahead.

Sounds like a good idea to me, but don't get TOO carried away with. I wish I would have stuck with my plan of an EE and math double major, but I got carried away for a while and just switched to math. So, just don't drop the EE major without very serious consideration. Particularly if you are one of those people who starts to like the math better because it emphasizes deeper conceptual understanding. In the long run, math, at the research level, can be a disaster area for people who like to understand things for themselves, in my experience, despite the impression you might get from just an undergraduate degree.

If that sounds surprising, have a look at these:

http://mathoverflow.net/questions/99506/blackbox-theorems

http://blogs.scientificamerican.com/guest-blog/2013/10/01/voevodskys-mathematical-revolution/

From which, I will highlight the following quote from a Fields' medalist, no less, tacitly admitting (and even going further, as if it were hardly even worthy of note) that mathematicians are proving theorems that they don't even fully understand themselves:

"He also predicts that this will lead to a blossoming of collaboration, pointing out that right now, collaboration requires an enormous trust, because it’s too much work to carefully check your collaborator’s work. With computer verification, the computer does all that for you, so you can collaborate with anyone and know that what they produce is solid. That creates the possibility of mathematicians doing large-scale collaborative projects that have been impractical until now."

So, there goes that idea I had of understanding things for myself that made me change my major to math and then go to grad school for it, right out the window. Silly of me not to see it earlier.

So, if any other EE out there finds themselves tempted by math, beyond a minor or double-major because they mistakenly get the impression that EE is plug and chug and math is about understanding, I hope that will give them pause. It's a big case of "out of the frying pan, into the fire". They'd be much better off, just fighting the good fight in EE and trying really hard to understand what what they learn there. Unless, of course, they happen to be a fan of working with big black-box theorems they don't understand. My father is a professor of EE and reports that the situation seems to be better with regard to these issues.

The double major would be particularly good if you plan to go to grad school for EE, though, in areas like signal processing or control theory.

Likes 1 person

1. Is a dual degree in EE and Math worth the extra time and effort?

It depends on your career goals and personal interests. A dual degree in EE and Math can open up opportunities in a variety of industries, such as engineering, finance, and data analytics. However, it may require additional time and effort to complete both degrees.

2. What are the benefits of pursuing a dual degree in EE and Math?

A dual degree in EE and Math can provide a strong foundation in both fields and allow for a deeper understanding of the intersection between the two disciplines. It can also make you a more versatile and competitive job candidate.

3. Will a dual degree in EE and Math be too challenging?

It can be challenging, but with proper time management and dedication, it is definitely achievable. The coursework may be more difficult than pursuing a single degree, but the knowledge and skills gained can be well worth it.

4. Can I specialize in a specific area within EE and Math with a dual degree?

Yes, some universities may offer the option to specialize in a specific area within EE and Math with a dual degree. This can allow you to tailor your education to your interests and career goals.

5. Are there any potential drawbacks to pursuing a dual degree in EE and Math?

One potential drawback is that it may require a larger course load and more time to complete both degrees, which can be challenging for some students. It may also limit your opportunities to explore other subjects or extracurricular activities. However, the benefits of a dual degree often outweigh any potential drawbacks.