Is a high-speed vortex blimp possible?

• Thread starter rdunk4
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Vortex
In summary, this guy is proposing a really crazy idea for a flying heavy weight blimp that doesn't make a sonic boom. He thinks it could be done without any friction using air as propulsion and it would be incredibly fast. But there are a lot of problems with the idea and I don't think it will work.
rdunk4
Hi,

I know this sounds crazy but I just found this really interesting idea at wwww.amasci.com. It's basicly a plan for a hovering heavier then air blimp, which can travel faster then the speed of sound, without making a sonic boom. It sounds like a UFO and I just want to know if its phyiscally possible.

The page can be found at http://www.amasci.com/amateur/vortgen.html Under the the title HIGH-SPEED VORTEX BLIMP about half way down the page.

Thx.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF, Rdunk.
The guy uses a lot of fancy words, but I can't see any way in the world that the thing would even fly, let alone with the kind of performance he's proposing.

Why wouldn't it work?

I'm an amateur, so I'm going to leave the analysis to the pros like Astronuc, Fred Garvin, etc.. It's possible that I'm wrong, but I don't think so. Call it a pilot's instinct on my part.

Ok, I'll wait for the experts.

BTW, thanks for the welcome.

I might not be what you call an "expert", but no this will not work. There's so many things wrong with this idea that I could go on for hours about how ridiculous it is. But since I don't want to go through trouble I will just state the the speed of sound (or any speed for that matter) can not be reached using any method of friction with air as propulsion. Second, let's say if you could, there is nothing about this blimp thing that would cause it to not break the sound barrier. If anything it would make an even louder sonic boom do to its poor aerodynamics.

Ahh, of course the rotating "blimps" would be pushing air. So there would be no thrust.

But then how does a smoke ring move thorugh the air? See the attached gif, this might explain how the craft can propel its self.

Edit: Srry your're saying that there would be thrust right? But its not enough to break the sound barrier. Sounds fair enough. But then it could be argued that as smoke ring produces no drag, this craft would produce no drag, Maybe?? (afterall what's the difference between the craft and a smoke ring). And because it's allmost frictionless it would require very little thrust.

Edit Two: In the gif the rotaing action of the ring itself provides practically no frition. I.e. the acutal otuside surface of the ring is not actually grinding aganst the air molecules but rather moving with them.

Attachments

• smrg4.gif
    smrg4.gif
    29.6 KB · Views: 496
Last edited:
I'm no expert, but I'm thinking you wouldn't get any movement out of it, because each "blimp" would have as much forward motion as backward.
I.E. if the "blimps" are rotating inwards, then the outside of the "blimps" would be moving forwards.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the idea he got this from, smoke rings, are a result of air motion, not a cause.

I don't know why he thinks it would move particularly fast.

Even if he could arrange it so that the forces and counter-forces do not balance out, what he's essentially got is a paddle wheel powered airship.

I see what he's saying about the laminar flow but what makes him think he can move that huge mass air - from the front of the craft, around the sides and to back - for free.

Thankfully, this three-year-old crackpot link is now dead. Sorry I missed it at the time. Thread locked.

Related to Is a high-speed vortex blimp possible?

1. What is a high-speed vortex blimp?

A high-speed vortex blimp is a type of airship that uses a unique propulsion system based on the principles of fluid dynamics. It utilizes a vortex ring created by spinning fans to generate thrust and move through the air at high speeds.

2. How does a high-speed vortex blimp work?

The high-speed vortex blimp works by using a series of spinning fans located at strategic points on the airship. These fans create a vortex ring, which is a spinning column of air that moves in a circular motion. This vortex ring then produces thrust, propelling the blimp forward.

3. What are the advantages of a high-speed vortex blimp?

One of the main advantages of a high-speed vortex blimp is its speed. It can travel at much higher speeds than traditional airships, making it ideal for long-distance and high-speed transportation. Additionally, it is more energy-efficient and environmentally friendly than other modes of transportation, such as airplanes or helicopters.

4. What are the potential applications of a high-speed vortex blimp?

The high-speed vortex blimp has a wide range of potential applications, including cargo transportation, passenger travel, and military use. It could also be used for scientific research or as a platform for aerial photography and surveillance.

5. Are there any limitations to a high-speed vortex blimp?

While the high-speed vortex blimp has many advantages, it also has some limitations. It may not be suitable for use in adverse weather conditions, and its speed may be affected by strong winds. Additionally, it may be more expensive to manufacture and maintain compared to traditional airships.