Is a large stationary aerostat possible?

• Thread starter Ranmacar
  • Start date
In summary: I think it would be very easy to make, but if you want to make it durable you would need to make it very light, or use a very strong material.In summary, it seems very easy to make a hyperloop, but it would need to be very light or very strong to withstand turbulence.
Ranmacar
Hello!

I was thinking late one night, and would love to have someone with more than my cursory knowledge in relevant sciences have a look at this.

How hard would it be to keep a very long balloon / zeppelin stationary and stable in the air, say between 50-200m above ground? Where very long is measured in km, around 50 maybe?

Thanks!

Engineering news on Phys.org
Ranmacar said:
Hello!

I was thinking late one night, and would love to have someone with more than my cursory knowledge in relevant sciences have a look at this.

How hard would it be to keep a very long balloon / zeppelin stationary and stable in the air, say between 50-200m above ground? Where very long is measured in km, around 50 maybe?

Thanks!
Welcome to the PF.

Seems trivially easy, if I read your post correctly. The only issue is how much rent your airship would have to pay tethered to the top of a skyscraper in any large city.

Likes russ_watters
BTW, things go much better here at the PF if you post links to the reading you've been doing so far to try to answer your question. links? :smile:

I wish I had saved them, it was just a Google spree before sleep :)

What I was worried about was bad weather / wind. How much could it withstand, and how stable could it be.

The idea was to make a lightweight hyperloop alternative, without the vacuum of course. Just a shielded tube for some ultralight vehicles.

You will find it instructive to take a guess for the diameter of your tube, say 3 meters, and calculate:

Total force on the tube in a high wind perpendicular to the tube.
Force on the anchor points.
Volume, availability, and cost of helium to hold it up.

Google search terms drag coefficient cylinder will get you everything you need to calculate wind force.
Google search terms cable catenary equations will get you everything you need to calculate the force on the anchor points.

Thanks, will try to get some basic calculations done soon.

What I was thinking was 2 tubes with about 2-3m diameter enclosed in a flattened oval filled with hopefully helium, or some other lifting gas. Need to have a look at the required volumes to calculate the size of the enclosure.

What I have most trouble thinking through is how much turbulence / different wind directions to expect at the altitudes.

FAQ: Is a large stationary aerostat possible?

1. Can a large stationary aerostat be used as a mode of transportation?

No, a large stationary aerostat is not designed to be a mode of transportation. It is primarily used for surveillance, telecommunications, and research purposes.

2. How does a large stationary aerostat stay in one place?

A large stationary aerostat typically uses a combination of buoyancy and tethering systems to remain in one place. Helium or hot air is used to provide lift, while tethers attached to the ground or other structures keep the aerostat in a fixed position.

3. What are the advantages of using a large stationary aerostat?

One advantage of using a large stationary aerostat is its ability to stay in one place for extended periods of time, providing a stable platform for various activities such as surveillance or research. It also has a lower operating cost compared to other aerial vehicles.

4. What are the limitations of a large stationary aerostat?

A major limitation of a large stationary aerostat is its vulnerability to weather conditions such as strong winds and lightning. It also requires a large area for deployment and may not be suitable for use in urban or densely populated areas.

5. How does a large stationary aerostat differ from a blimp or a hot air balloon?

A large stationary aerostat differs from a blimp or a hot air balloon in terms of its purpose and design. While a blimp and a hot air balloon are primarily used for transportation, a large stationary aerostat is designed for stationary use. It also has a more rigid structure and is typically equipped with advanced technology for specific purposes.