Is a Master's in Applied Math the Key to Advancing as a Physicist?

In summary, the speaker is a master's student in physics who is hesitant to pursue a PhD due to the need for more math training, financial concerns, and the limited job opportunities in their desired fields of alternative energy or high energy physics. They also mention considering a career in the defense industry and question the value of a PhD compared to a master's degree. They advise the listener to carefully consider their passion for physics and other potential career options before committing to a PhD.
Ryan007
I'm currently a master's student in physics. I really don't want to go on to a phd. I feel that in order to be a better physicist, I need more math training. I didn't do a math double major as an undergrad, and now I wish I did. How much would I get out of a math degree? Is someone with two master's degrees in math and physics as valuable to private industry as someone with a phd in physics?

I've studied a variety of different things (because I like to) and there's nothing quite like the challenge of math/physics. Studying physics has made me accustomed to such high levels of thought. Now I get bored with anything less difficult. That scares me because it gives me that itch to want to pursue a phd but I don't want to stay in academia and I don't want to go through many more years of being broke. I don't think I could handle the rigors (qualifying exams, etc.). Sometimes I feel like "since I've come this far, maybe I should go all the way..."

The most practical reason for not going for a phd is that I need a job that pays well so I can pay off my loans.

Physics news on Phys.org
Studying physics has made me accustomed to such high levels of thought. Now I get bored with anything less difficult.

Take comfort in knowing there are difficult things to think about in all parts of life, rather than just physics.

Sometimes I feel like "since I've come this far, maybe I should go all the way..."

That would fly only if you were in your last year or two, but since you have ~4 more years, absolutely not!

The most practical reason for not going for a phd is that I need a job that pays well so I can pay off my loans.

If your hearts not in it, time to move on! A PhD requires a strong and deep passion for the field. It's just not worth it if you don't feel this way.

Since I was a kid I was always interested in the the energy/environment/climate change problem. I wanted to research in fusion or other alternative energy sources. I would love to do research at CERN. But the reality is, there are so few jobs for physicists in alternative energy or HEP. The energy problem is really more of a political problem anyway. If there aren't going to be many opportunities after a phd, it's not going to be worth it. The largest employer of sci/tech grads here in CA is the defense industry. I always wanted to avoid the contributing to the military industrial complex but that might be my only potential source of income.

I would love to do research at CERN. But the reality is, there are so few jobs for physicists in alternative energy or HEP. The energy problem is really more of a political problem anyway. If there aren't going to be many opportunities after a phd, it's not going to be worth it. The largest employer of sci/tech grads here in CA is the defense industry. I always wanted to avoid the contributing to the military industrial complex but that might be my only potential source of income.

It's true that there are very few jobs for professors in HEP. You have to really, really want it to try and have a shot at it. Really know what you want to do in life, and if it's to become a professor, really research the chances of becoming one. There are so many careers to do in life, so really consider as many possibilities as you can.

Regarding your question if a masters in physics and math the same as a physics phd, I think if you get a phd, you have a different skill set. For industry, you won't be paid much more with a phd than a masters, and you can make up for the pay offset when you enter the market earlier as a masters. The phd doesn't really give you much more in terms of salary, but it opens up jobs to do research in the field.

Do you really, really want to do physics that bad? Are you willing to put your nose to grindstone for 4 more years at CERN?

I wouldn't really suggest getting another masters in math if you've got one in physics already. But it all really depends on what job you want. What do you want to do? Can you think of things you can be happy doing besides physics? If not, then go for the phd, at least for the ride, and try your very best! (Keeping all things in perspective, of course).

I once thought that I couldn't be happy doing anything else besides physics, and it's the only way to go. But when I realized that I could probably not become a professor, I had to think about doing something else. I could probably still do physics, but I'm particularly interested in a subfield, and I wouldn't be satisfied as "researcher" or "staff scientist" due to the lifestyle I want.

I understand your desire to continue your education and improve your skills as a physicist. It is true that a strong foundation in math is essential for success in physics, and obtaining a Master's in Applied Math can certainly provide you with additional training and expertise in this area. However, whether or not it is the "key" to advancing as a physicist is a more complex question.

First of all, it is important to note that there is no one set path to advancement in any field, including physics. There are many successful physicists who have only a bachelor's degree, and many who have multiple degrees in different fields. What is most important is your passion for the subject and your ability to apply your knowledge and skills in a practical way.

That being said, a Master's in Applied Math can certainly make you a more well-rounded and skilled physicist. It can provide you with a deeper understanding of mathematical concepts and their applications to physics, and can open up opportunities for more specialized roles in both academia and industry. However, whether or not it is necessary for advancement will depend on your specific career goals and the specific requirements of the positions you are interested in.

Regarding the value of a Master's in Math and Physics compared to a PhD in Physics, it is difficult to make a general statement as it will ultimately depend on the individual's skills, experience, and the specific industry or company they are applying to. Some industries may value the more specialized knowledge and research experience gained through a PhD, while others may place more emphasis on a diverse skill set and practical experience gained through multiple degrees.

Ultimately, the decision to pursue a PhD should not be based solely on the potential for higher pay or job opportunities. It is a significant commitment of time, energy, and resources, and should only be pursued if you have a genuine passion for research and a desire to contribute to the advancement of knowledge in your field. If your main concern is job stability and paying off loans, there are many rewarding and well-paying careers in the private sector that do not require a PhD.

In summary, a Master's in Applied Math can certainly provide valuable training and skills for a physicist, but it is not necessarily the "key" to advancement. It is important to carefully consider your career goals and weigh the potential benefits and drawbacks of pursuing a PhD before making a decision.

Related to Is a Master's in Applied Math the Key to Advancing as a Physicist?

1. What is a Master's in applied math program?

A Master's in applied math program is a graduate degree program that focuses on the application of mathematical principles and concepts to real-world problems in various fields such as engineering, physics, finance, and computer science. It is a highly interdisciplinary program that combines advanced mathematical coursework with practical training in analyzing and solving complex problems using mathematical tools and techniques.

2. What are the admission requirements for a Master's in applied math program?

The admission requirements for a Master's in applied math program may vary depending on the university or college. Generally, applicants are required to have a bachelor's degree in mathematics, engineering, or a related field, along with a strong background in calculus, linear algebra, and differential equations. Some programs may also require applicants to have a minimum GPA and submit GRE scores.

3. What can I do with a Master's in applied math degree?

A Master's in applied math degree can lead to a variety of career opportunities in both academia and industry. Graduates can work as data analysts, operations researchers, financial analysts, risk analysts, or pursue further studies and research in areas such as mathematical modeling, computational science, or statistics. This degree also provides a strong foundation for pursuing a Ph.D. in mathematics or a related field.

4. Is a thesis required for a Master's in applied math program?

The thesis requirement for a Master's in applied math program may vary depending on the university or college. Some programs may require students to complete a thesis as part of their degree requirements, while others may offer a non-thesis option where students can choose to complete a capstone project or take additional coursework instead. It is important to check the specific requirements of the program you are interested in.

5. How long does it take to complete a Master's in applied math program?

The duration of a Master's in applied math program may vary depending on the university or college and whether the program is full-time or part-time. Generally, a full-time program can be completed in 1-2 years, while a part-time program may take 2-3 years. The length of the program may also depend on whether a thesis or a capstone project is required. It is important to check the specific program requirements and plan accordingly.