Is a Physics Minor Beneficial for a Computer Science Major?

In summary, the conversation discusses the potential benefits of pursuing a physics minor for a computer science major. The speaker notes that while there may not be any direct benefits in terms of CS employment, there is nothing wrong with pursuing a minor in physics if it is of personal interest. The speaker also suggests that a minor in mathematics, particularly in subjects such as discrete maths, probability, graph theory, and linear algebra, may complement a CS degree better than a physics minor. The conversation ends with the confirmation that the speaker is already taking these math courses as part of their CS degree.
SnowMan20
I am a computer science major and took Physics 1 & 2 and now that I am done with those I am actually kind of missing physics. Physics is really interesting to me, which I know is reason enough, but I was just wondering what kind of benefits I could possibly get out of pursuing a physics minor. Thanks for your feedback ahead of time.

Physics news on Phys.org
In terms of CS employment, I think there are no benefits of having a physics minor. I.e. employers will not prefer you over someone with a straight CS major.

If you are interested in physics, then there is nothing wrong with doing a minor in physics.

Do you do discrete maths, probability, graph theory and linear algebra as part of your CS degree? If not, then I would say a maths minor in these subjects complements CS better than physics.

member2357 said:
In terms of CS employment, I think there are no benefits of having a physics minor. I.e. employers will not prefer you over someone with a straight CS major.

If you are interested in physics, then there is nothing wrong with doing a minor in physics.

Do you do discrete maths, probability, graph theory and linear algebra as part of your CS degree? If not, then I would say a maths minor in these subjects complements CS better than physics.

Yea I have to take all those. I'm already doing a math minor because I only have to take two extra courses along with all the courses I'm already going to take.

Last edited:

1. Is it worth getting a physics minor?

It depends on your career goals and interests. A physics minor can complement your major and make you a more well-rounded candidate for jobs in fields such as engineering, research, and data analysis.

2. Will a physics minor be too challenging?

Physics can be a challenging subject, but if you have a strong interest in it and are willing to put in the effort, a minor is definitely doable. It may require more time and dedication, but the knowledge and skills gained can be valuable in many careers.

3. Can I major in one subject and minor in physics?

Yes, it is possible to major in one subject and minor in physics. Many universities offer the option to minor in a subject outside of your major. It may require careful planning and time management, but it can be a great way to diversify your education.

4. Will a physics minor limit my career options?

No, a physics minor will not limit your career options. In fact, it can open up new opportunities in fields that require a strong understanding of physics, such as aerospace, energy, and technology.

5. Do I need a physics minor to pursue a career in physics?

No, a minor in physics is not required to pursue a career in physics. However, it can be beneficial for those who have a different major but still want to gain a strong foundation in physics or for those who are considering graduate studies in physics.