Is a Psychology degree really considered useless?

In summary, the conversation revolves around the topic of switching majors from IT to psychology. The person expressing their frustration with their current major and a desire to pursue something they are passionate about. They have already withdrawn from physics and java programming and enrolled in a developmental psychology course. They are seeking confirmation and reassurance that a psychology degree will lead to a successful career, but also acknowledge the unpredictability of the job market. The other person advises to make oneself marketable and consider personal preferences and goals when making a decision. They also mention the potential excitement and adventure of switching majors, but emphasize the importance of building marketable skills regardless of the chosen major.
StatGuy2000 said:
I keep hearing posts here and elsewhere about jobs being outsourced out of the US (and Canada) and into other countries, but can anyone actually point to real data to indicate to what extent this is actually true over the past decade?

I'm aware that many people will take the example of call centres in India; however, in that particular instance, those jobs were either those that never existed to begin with in the US or Canada, or in many cases were replacing workers that were essentially being "imported" into the US during the height of the dot-com boom. I recall back in the late 90s that there was such a severe shortage of people with backgrounds in computer science and in certain engineering fields that many positions were being filled in by H1B visas from India, particularly those who graduated from the Indian Institute of Technology (IIT).

An interesting link. The link presented doesn't really break down the types of jobs that were offshored/outsourced (e.g. the extent to which STEM type jobs were among those being offshored/outsourced), nor does it indicate if the brunt of the offshoring were in industries that were already in relative decline within the US. Certainly among the main reasons for outsourcing/offshoring is due to the savings from labour costs, but as the link indicated, labour costs around the world are increasing (due to the overall change in economic conditions around the world). This would perhaps indicate that, although a return to manufacturing jobs in the US has not taken place to a great extent (the article suggest possible reasons like the US tax code), the economic rationale for offshoring/outsourcing may have reached its limit.

<h2>1. Is a Psychology degree really considered useless?</h2><p>This is a common question among students considering a degree in Psychology. The answer is no, a Psychology degree is not considered useless. While it may not lead to a specific career path like other degrees, it provides a strong foundation in critical thinking, research, and understanding human behavior, which are valuable skills in many industries.</p><h2>2. What career options are available with a Psychology degree?</h2><p>There are many career options available with a Psychology degree. Some popular choices include becoming a therapist, counselor, social worker, or human resources professional. Additionally, many industries value the skills gained from a Psychology degree, such as market research, advertising, and education.</p><h2>3. Can I make a good salary with a Psychology degree?</h2><p>While salary may vary depending on the specific career path, a Psychology degree can lead to a good salary. For example, the median annual salary for a clinical psychologist is over $80,000. Additionally, the skills gained from a Psychology degree can also lead to higher-paying positions in other industries.</p><h2>4. Is it necessary to pursue a graduate degree in Psychology?</h2><p>It is not necessary to pursue a graduate degree in Psychology, but it can open up more career opportunities and potentially lead to a higher salary. Many careers in Psychology, such as becoming a licensed therapist, require a graduate degree. However, there are also many entry-level positions available with just a bachelor's degree.</p><h2>5. How can I make the most out of my Psychology degree?</h2><p>To make the most out of a Psychology degree, it is important to gain practical experience through internships, research projects, and volunteer work. Networking and building relationships with professionals in the field can also open up opportunities. Additionally, considering a minor or double major in a related field, such as sociology or neuroscience, can provide a well-rounded education and make you more marketable to employers.</p>

1. Is a Psychology degree really considered useless?

This is a common question among students considering a degree in Psychology. The answer is no, a Psychology degree is not considered useless. While it may not lead to a specific career path like other degrees, it provides a strong foundation in critical thinking, research, and understanding human behavior, which are valuable skills in many industries.

2. What career options are available with a Psychology degree?

There are many career options available with a Psychology degree. Some popular choices include becoming a therapist, counselor, social worker, or human resources professional. Additionally, many industries value the skills gained from a Psychology degree, such as market research, advertising, and education.

3. Can I make a good salary with a Psychology degree?

While salary may vary depending on the specific career path, a Psychology degree can lead to a good salary. For example, the median annual salary for a clinical psychologist is over $80,000. Additionally, the skills gained from a Psychology degree can also lead to higher-paying positions in other industries.

4. Is it necessary to pursue a graduate degree in Psychology?

It is not necessary to pursue a graduate degree in Psychology, but it can open up more career opportunities and potentially lead to a higher salary. Many careers in Psychology, such as becoming a licensed therapist, require a graduate degree. However, there are also many entry-level positions available with just a bachelor's degree.

5. How can I make the most out of my Psychology degree?

To make the most out of a Psychology degree, it is important to gain practical experience through internships, research projects, and volunteer work. Networking and building relationships with professionals in the field can also open up opportunities. Additionally, considering a minor or double major in a related field, such as sociology or neuroscience, can provide a well-rounded education and make you more marketable to employers.