Is a set of orthogonal basis vectors for a subspace unique?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 9K views
DryRun
Gold Member
Messages
837
Reaction score
4
Homework Statement
Is a set of orthogonal basis vectors for a subspace unique?

The attempt at a solution
I don't know what this means. Can someone please explain?
I managed to find the orthogonal basis vectors and afterwards determining the orthonormal basis vectors, but I'm not sure what the question is asking for exactly?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Unique means only one. So, for example, in R2, (1,0) and (0,1) are an orthogonal basis. Can you find a different pair giving an orthogonal bases for R2?
 
LCKurtz said:
Unique means only one. So, for example, in R2, (1,0) and (0,1) are an orthogonal basis. Can you find a different pair giving an orthogonal bases for R2?
Thanks for your time, LCKurtz.
To answer your question... Yes, (0,-1) and (-1,0) as well as the following pair (0,0) and (-1,0) and others, like (-1,0) and (0,2), etc.
But what is your point? I don't see how that answers my original question.
 
sharks said:
Thanks for your time, LCKurtz.
To answer your question... Yes, (0,-1) and (-1,0) as well as the following pair (0,0) and (-1,0) and others, like (-1,0) and (0,2), etc.
But what is your point? I don't see how that answers my original question.

You don't?? Your question was whether a subspace had a unique (meaning only one) set of basis vectors. You have just mentioned several. And you could find entirely different ones by rotating them too.
 
OK, i missed that point, as my mind was focused more on the actual orthogonal basis vectors, which is a 3x3 matrix, which i assume would not be unique either. Thanks!