1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Is a set of orthogonal basis vectors for a subspace unique?

1. Sep 24, 2011 #1

sharks

Gold Member

The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Is a set of orthogonal basis vectors for a subspace unique?

The attempt at a solution
    I don't know what this means. Can someone please explain?
    I managed to find the orthogonal basis vectors and afterwards determining the orthonormal basis vectors, but i'm not sure what the question is asking for exactly?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 24, 2011 #2

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Unique means only one. So, for example, in R2, (1,0) and (0,1) are an orthogonal basis. Can you find a different pair giving an orthogonal bases for R2?

4. Sep 24, 2011 #3

sharks

Gold Member

Thanks for your time, LCKurtz.
    To answer your question... Yes, (0,-1) and (-1,0) as well as the following pair (0,0) and (-1,0) and others, like (-1,0) and (0,2), etc.
    But what is your point? I don't see how that answers my original question.

5. Sep 24, 2011 #4

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You don't?? Your question was whether a subspace had a unique (meaning only one) set of basis vectors. You have just mentioned several. And you could find entirely different ones by rotating them too.

6. Sep 24, 2011 #5

sharks

Gold Member

OK, i missed that point, as my mind was focused more on the actual orthogonal basis vectors, which is a 3x3 matrix, which i assume would not be unique either. Thanks!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook