Okay I've read your discussion, especially about static and kinetic friction, so now I'm a little worried again. Say I calculate the acceleration caused by friction by pushing a cart on a level surface. I'm using motion sensors and the software capstone, which will graph the acceleration/time graph for me. Obviously the graph is not perfectly straight (a bit zig-zaggy), suggesting that there is a mix of static and kinetic friction at work here (I think?). Say I want to just use the average acceleration caused by friction, I average the points on the graph to get the average acceleration due to friction. I then incline the plane, and measure the acceleration/time graph again, this time not pushing the cart, just letting gravity do the work for me. There, I find the average acceleration again.
What I want to find is the acceleration due to gravity, and I know that I can't just simply calculate it by (average acceleration of cart)/sin(angle of the inclined plane), because friction plays a role here. Can I subtract the average acceleration due to friction I found earlier from the average acceleration due to the parallel-to-the-plane component of gravity I found after, to get the simulated average acceleration if the cart was on a frictionless surface?
My own guess is I can, because I assume the acceleration due to friction does not change whether the cart is rolling on an inclined or level plane, so subtracting that (negative) value from the average acceleration due to the parallel-to-the-plane component of gravity will give me the simulated acceleration due to the parallel-to-the-plane component of gravity on a frictionless surface. Also, if I don't consider the acceleration due to friction, my final calculation for g is about 7m/s^2, whereas if I consider the acceleration due to friction, my g value is about 9m/s^2 (only did the calculations for 1 trial so far).
Sorry if this sounds impractical, my lab instructor didn't give us precises instructions, he gave us the tools and he wanted us to design the experiment to calculate g using a cart and a plane (that can incline) ourselves. Thanks to everybody who contributed so far!