Is an electron beam affected by photons?

In summary, the double-slit experiment, when done with electrons, should ideally be conducted in a vacuum to avoid interference from air molecules. The presence of air or other particles can potentially disrupt the interference pattern and affect the results of the experiment. Therefore, it is necessary for the electrons to have a clear path to the screen without any interactions with other particles.
Herbascious J
TL;DR Summary
Are beams made of electrons, like the kind used in the double slit experiments, able to withstand the presence of light or air molecules, without interacting?
I am wondering if one of the prerequisites of the double-slit experiment, when done with electrons, is that the beams must be in a dark vacuum tube so as to not destroy the interference pattern. I am trying to learn if the beams will lose their interference pattern because the particles of the beam are interacting with other particles like photons or gases before hitting the screen.

Physics news on Phys.org
Herbascious J said:
Summary:: Are beams made of electrons, like the kind used in the double slit experiments, able to withstand the presence of light or air molecules, without interacting?

I am wondering if one of the prerequisites of the double-slit experiment, when done with electrons, is that the beams must be in a dark vacuum tube so as to not destroy the interference pattern. I am trying to learn if the beams will lose their interference pattern because the particles of the beam are interacting with other particles like photons or gases before hitting the screen.
It's better to do the electron double-slit experiment in a vacuum, as you may lose some electrons to collisions with air molecules. It's not a question of losing the interference pattern, it's that electrons may be lost to the experiment (or significantly deflected). Fairly obviously, you need the electrons to have a clear path to the screen.

Last edited:
Likes danielhaish and Herbascious J
PeroK said:
It's better to do the electron double-slit experiment in a vacuum, as you may lose some electrons to collisions with air molecules. It's not a question of losing the interference pattern, it's that electrons may be lost to the experiment (or significantly deflected). Fairly obviously, you need the electrons to have a clear path to the screen.
I know that I didn't asked the question . but I am also wondering do the interaction with air wouldn't destroy the experiment ?

1. How does an electron beam interact with photons?

The interaction between an electron beam and photons is known as the Compton effect. When a photon collides with an electron, it transfers some of its energy to the electron, causing it to increase in velocity and change direction.

2. Can photons affect the path of an electron beam?

Yes, photons can affect the path of an electron beam through the Compton effect. The transfer of energy from the photon to the electron can cause the electron to change direction and deviate from its original path.

3. Do photons have an impact on the speed of an electron beam?

Yes, photons can affect the speed of an electron beam. When a photon transfers energy to an electron, it increases the electron's velocity, thus increasing the speed of the electron beam.

4. How do photons influence the behavior of an electron beam?

Photons can influence the behavior of an electron beam through the Compton effect, as well as through the photoelectric effect. The photoelectric effect occurs when a photon transfers enough energy to an electron to completely remove it from its atom, resulting in the creation of a new electron beam.

5. Can an electron beam be completely unaffected by photons?

No, an electron beam cannot be completely unaffected by photons. Even if the electron beam is shielded from direct exposure to photons, it can still be influenced by photons through interactions with other particles or through the effects of electromagnetic fields.