Is bases the same as basis ? (Simplex Algorithm)

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of the Simplex Algorithm to solve a problem involving variables and slacks. It is determined that there are six possible combinations for the bases, and there can be multiple optimal solutions.
flyingpig

Homework Statement

[PLAIN]http://img193.imageshack.us/img193/3662/unledmcg.png

The Attempt at a Solution

I rewrote the whole thing in dictionary

[tex]x_3 = 15 - 8x_1 - 4x_2[/tex]
[tex]x_4 = 7 - 2x_1 - 6x_2[/tex]
[tex]z = 0 + 22x_1 - 12x_2[/tex]

[tex]x_i \geq 0 [/tex]
[tex]1\leq i \leq 4[/tex]

a) So my basis/bases is x = (x_3,x_4)

b) Do I have to solve the above using the Simplex Algorithm first?

c) I have to set x_1 or x_2 = 0 and the other one not 0.

So doing so I get (I chose x_1 and let x_2 = t)

[tex]x_3 = 15 - 4x_2[/tex]
[tex]x_4 = 7 - 6x_2[/tex]
[tex]z = -12x_2[/tex]

So I get a line of

x = (0,t|15-t,7-6t)^t

So my answer is a line with [tex]t \in (-\infty, \frac{7}{6})[/tex]

I have infinity in my interval...something does not feel right

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Bases is the plural of basis. One basis, two bases. I have to go and do something else now, so I don't have time to help you with the actual problem, but I'm sure someone else will.

Fredrik said:
Bases is the plural of basis. One basis, two bases. I have to go and do something else now, so I don't have time to help you with the actual problem, but I'm sure someone else will.

How could there be more than one basis for any LOP?

I need to make a correction

When they mean bases, they just mean all combination of the basic variables.

I happen to have 4 variables and I could only only choose 2 slacks, so that's 6 combination namely

[tex]\beta = \left \{ 1,2 \right \}, \left \{ 1,3 \right \}, \left \{ 1,4 \right \}, \left \{ 2,3 \right \}, \left \{ 2,4 \right \}, \left \{ 3,4 \right \}[/tex]

I just have one question, it's given that at least one basic solution HAS to be an optimal right? There can't be two optimal?

flyingpig said:
I just have one question, it's given that at least one basic solution HAS to be an optimal right? There can't be two optimal?

There may be multiple optimal solutions, but yes at least one (if the Weierstrass theorem is satisfied).

1. Is bases the same as basis?

No, bases and basis are not the same. Bases refers to the plural form of basis, which is the underlying principle or foundation of something. Basis, on the other hand, is the singular form and refers to the fundamental principle or starting point of something.

2. What is the Simplex Algorithm?

The Simplex Algorithm is a mathematical method used to solve linear programming problems. It is an iterative process that involves finding the optimal solution by moving along the edges of a geometric shape called a simplex.

3. How does the Simplex Algorithm work?

The Simplex Algorithm works by starting at a feasible solution and then moving along the edges of the simplex towards the optimal solution. At each iteration, the algorithm identifies a new vertex that improves the objective function until the optimal solution is reached.

4. What are bases in the Simplex Algorithm?

In the Simplex Algorithm, bases refer to the set of variables that form a basis for the feasible solution. These variables are chosen based on certain criteria and are used to determine the direction in which to move towards the optimal solution.

5. How are bases selected in the Simplex Algorithm?

The bases in the Simplex Algorithm are selected based on a set of rules that ensure the feasibility and optimality of the solution. These rules include the non-negativity constraint, the presence of a basic variable in each equation, and the optimality condition for the objective function.