Is Brown good for string theory?

In summary, Brown University has a strong theoretical particle physics department with at least five researchers focusing on string theory. However, their numbers fall short compared to MIT and Princeton, with only seven papers cited more than 250 times and one researcher with a Nobel Prize. Brown's acceptance rate is slightly higher than MIT and Princeton, but lower than Berkeley's. The decision on which school is better is subjective and depends on individual perspectives. These numbers were obtained from GraduateSchool Shopper.com and INSPIRE databases.
ian_dsouza
Is Brown a good university for string theory? I've checked out their website but was wondering about the general reputation and strength of the researchers in string theory at Brown. It does seem like a small school and guessing their acceptance rate would be low.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
I looked at Brown University and here's what I've found.

Brown's Physics department currently employs (from what I've found) at least five theoretical particle physicists (their research includes string theory).
Compare this number to MIT's and Princeton's thirteen.
Now, only seven paper's from Brown's five theorists have been cited by other scientists more than 250 times. Only one of which was cited more than 500 times.
One of MIT's physicists, Frank Wilczek (theoretical particle physics/string theorist), alone has 46 papers that were each cited more than 250, 16 were cited more than 500 times. (He's a Nobel Laureate).

Acceptance Rates:

MIT 9.87%
Brown 13.53%
Princeton 11.68%
Berkeley (CA) 15.86%

I have given you the numbers. Which is the better school? That is up to your perspective.

Numbers were pulled from GraduateSchool Shopper.com and the INSPIRE (high energy physics) database.

Likes ian_dsouza
Thanks for the very detailed reply. Much appreciated! I just applied. Brown's pretty selective, but I'm hoping the average profile in their applicant pool isn't as good as that of Princeton and MIT.

Likes Joshua L

1. Is Brown a valid color for string theory?

Yes, the color brown can represent a type of string in string theory, known as a "closed string". Closed strings are loops that can vibrate in different ways and make up the basic building blocks of the theory.

2. How does Brown relate to string theory?

Brown is one of the many colors used to represent different types of strings in string theory. Each color represents a different mode of vibration of the string, which can have implications for the properties and behavior of the string.

3. Is Brown used in any specific aspects of string theory?

Brown is commonly used to represent closed strings in string theory, but it is also used in other aspects of the theory. For example, in superstring theory, which attempts to unify different versions of string theory, brown is used to represent the "superpartner" of the closed string, known as the "superstring".

4. Can Brown be replaced with another color in string theory?

Yes, some theories use different colors to represent different types of strings. For example, in bosonic string theory, which only describes closed strings, brown is not used. Instead, red, blue, and green are used to represent different modes of vibration.

5. Are there any limitations to using Brown in string theory?

There are no inherent limitations to using brown in string theory. However, as with any scientific theory, our understanding of string theory is constantly evolving and may lead to changes in how we represent and interpret different aspects of the theory, including the use of colors like brown.