Is C02 free goods distribution possible?

• Thread starter revolution200
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Distribution
In summary, the conversation is about the feasibility of using wind power to run a distribution company. The speaker proposes purchasing a wind turbine and using it to power a convoy of electric vehicles for deliveries during the day and recharging at night. However, the other speaker points out that the cost of each van and the turbine would make it difficult to turn a profit. They also mention that the limited range of the vehicles may not be suitable for a distribution company's needs.
revolution200
I have done only a little research on this subject and would like to see what people with much more insight and knowledge think about this.
Suppose I want to create a distribution company. Let's say hypothetically my cash balance is unlimited for the time being. I purchase a windturbine in a location that supplies me with at least 7 mph of wind speed on average per day, which isn't out of the question. This in turn produces 140kWh per day (I haven't been able to find out exact figures but I will assume from the information provided on the sales websites http://www.segen.co.uk/eng/wind/gaia.htm that these numbers are reasonably accurate). Again from very preliminary research (http://auto.howstuffworks.com/fuel-efficiency/vehicles/electric-car5.htm) I am lead to believe that an electric car or van requires 15kWh for a full recharge. From a standard 120v outlet this takes apporoximately 10 hours and from a 240v outlet half that.

If I had a convoy of say five vehicles could I run a distribution company that delivers goods during the day and recharges the vehicles at night from the power generated by the turbine.

Is this possible?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I would look into the amount of miles driven in a day by a delivery van and you will probably find the idea won't work. You will do a few drops of packages, run out of juice mid day, and charge for 10 hours.

Also, the problem with your idea is that each van is going to be very expensive, as is a wind turbine. You have to make a profit to stay in business... This idea of 'lets say I have unlimited money' is, well, nieve.

I cannot provide a definitive answer to this question without conducting thorough research and analysis. However, I can offer some insights and considerations based on my knowledge and understanding of energy systems and distribution.

Firstly, it is important to note that CO2-free goods distribution is a complex issue that involves not only the transportation of goods but also the production and sourcing of those goods. While using renewable energy to power the distribution vehicles would reduce the carbon footprint of the operation, it may not necessarily make the entire distribution process completely CO2-free.

Furthermore, the feasibility of using a wind turbine to power a distribution company would depend on various factors such as the location of the wind turbine, the efficiency of the turbine, and the energy demands of the distribution vehicles. It is also important to consider the variability of wind energy and the need for backup energy sources in case of low or no wind.

In terms of the numbers provided, it is possible to generate 140kWh per day with a wind turbine, but this would not necessarily be enough to power a convoy of five vehicles. The energy demands of the vehicles would depend on their size, weight, and distance traveled, among other factors. It is also worth noting that electric vehicles still have a carbon footprint in terms of their production and the source of the electricity used to charge them.

In summary, while it is possible to use renewable energy such as wind power to reduce the carbon footprint of goods distribution, it may not be feasible to achieve completely CO2-free distribution without considering all aspects of the process and implementing a comprehensive and sustainable approach. Further research and analysis would be needed to determine the viability and effectiveness of such a distribution model.

1. What is C02 free goods distribution?

CO2 free goods distribution refers to the process of delivering goods to consumers without emitting carbon dioxide into the atmosphere. This can be achieved through the use of alternative transportation methods and energy sources.

2. Why is C02 free goods distribution important?

C02 free goods distribution is important because it helps to reduce the negative impact of carbon emissions on the environment. Carbon emissions contribute to climate change, which can have devastating effects on our planet and its inhabitants.

3. Is C02 free goods distribution currently possible?

Yes, it is possible to distribute goods without emitting C02. Many companies are already implementing sustainable practices in their supply chains, such as using electric or hybrid vehicles and renewable energy sources.

4. What are the challenges of achieving C02 free goods distribution?

Some challenges of achieving C02 free goods distribution include the cost of implementing sustainable practices, limited availability of alternative transportation methods, and the need for infrastructure changes.

5. How can we promote C02 free goods distribution?

We can promote C02 free goods distribution by supporting companies that have sustainable supply chain practices, advocating for government policies that incentivize sustainable transportation methods, and making conscious choices as consumers to reduce our carbon footprint.