Is coutnable unions of finite sets an infinite set?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 7K views
MrGandalf
Messages
30
Reaction score
0
Hiya. :)

While doing an assignment I ran into this little problem.

We are working in the set of natural numbers [tex]\mathbb{N}[/tex].

If i collect each natural number in a set
[tex]S_1 = \{1\}, S_2 = \{2\},\ldots, S_n = \{n\},\ldots[/tex]

What happens when I take the countable union of all these?
[tex]S = \bigcup_{i\in\mathbb{N}}S_i[/tex]

The resulting set will be an infinite set, right? It will be equal to [tex]\mathbb{N}[/tex]?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
MrGandalf said:
The resulting set will be an infinite set, right? It will be equal to [tex]\mathbb{N}[/tex]?

Right. What's the problem?
 
Yup.

Finite unions of finite sets are finite.

Countable unions of finite sets are countable.

Finite unions of countable sets are countable.

Countable unions of countable sets are countable.
 
Thanks.

I was just really unsure there for a moment, but I think I see it now.
Thanks for clearing that up for me.

PS Sorry about the typo in the thread title.