Is current reduced in a resistor?

In summary, the classic series circuit rule states that current is the same everywhere, but this is also true in the resistors or a load, like a light bulb filament. Resistance does cause a reduction in current, but the effect is only for the entire circuit.
infomike
Everyone knows the classic series circuit rule that states that current is the same everywhere, but is this also true in the resistors or a load, like a light bulb filament? I would think that the resistance caused by the electrons smashing against the atomic nucleii in the conductor would cause a reduction in current. The reduced electron velocity would be transferred to the nucleii in the conductor, causing heat.

Physics news on Phys.org
Resistance does cause a reduction in current but the effect is for the entire circuit. It is a similar effect to water in a pipe. If I put a restriction in the pipe I will reduce the water flow but I cannot have more water flowing toward the restriction then away from it because the water would have no place to accumulate.

Hi infomike!

With any component, the electrons that go in must be equal to the electrons going out (on average).
If they didn't, charge would heap up, which is not something that can go on indefinitely.

So if electrons were diverted somewhere, other electrons will have to jump in, effectively making sure that the number of electrons that leave a power source is the same as the number of electrons that return to a power source (on average).

And yes, you will have losses in the form of heat, so those losses will have to be compensated by energy supplied by the power source, and electrons may have to be pulled in from somewhere else.
No one said that each electron has to make a full circuit.

infomike said:
Everyone knows the classic series circuit rule that states that current is the same everywhere, but is this also true in the resistors or a load, like a light bulb filament? I would think that the resistance caused by the electrons smashing against the atomic nuclei in the conductor would cause a reduction in current. The reduced electron velocity would be transferred to the nuclei in the conductor, causing heat.

The total number of electrons flowing into the filament per unit time must be equal to the number of electrons flowing out; otherwise charge would build up in the filament. So the current out is the the same as the current in.

You are right that the electrons want to slow down as they interact with the atoms of the conductor (not the nuclei - they don't get anywhere near the nucleus, but that's not relevant here). But if an electron slows down, the electron behind it gets closer and the one in front moves farther away, and as electrons repel one another the effect is to push the laggard forward harder. So the electrons keep on moving through even as energy is transferred to the atoms of the filament.

So would it be accurate to say that the velocity or energy lost by the electrons in a resistor is responsible for the voltage or potential drop across the resistor?

infomike said:
So would it be accurate to say that the velocity or energy lost by the electrons in a resistor is responsible for the voltage or potential drop across the resistor?

Yes.
The energy loss is the voltage drop times the charge transmitted.

Re-think your question from the perspective of charge conservation: If a certain amount of charge enters the resistor, it cannot go extinct, also not by collisions to nuclei (if we disregard nuclear reactions for the moment).
Of course, the current has a cause: an electric field aka a voltage difference.
Then, by definition, the (ohmic) resistance determines the current via I = U/R assuming a lot of things like linearity etc. But that's just how we define an ohmic resistor - it cannot have a different behaviour, see also here.

Thanks to all for all the good responses.

That's true, but I was referring to the current in a resistor, separate from the current in the rest of the circuit. In your example, the increased resistance will reduce the current everywhere in the circuit. I had mistakenly thought that current could be different in a resistor as opposed to the rest of the circuit.

1. Why does current decrease in a resistor?

Current decreases in a resistor due to the resistance it imposes on the flow of electric charge. The resistance is caused by the collisions between the charge carriers and the atoms of the resistor's material, which results in a decrease in the velocity and flow of charge.

2. Does the current in a resistor depend on the voltage?

Yes, the current in a resistor is directly proportional to the voltage applied across it. This relationship is described by Ohm's Law, which states that the current (I) flowing through a resistor is equal to the voltage (V) divided by the resistance (R), or I = V/R.

3. How does the temperature affect the current in a resistor?

The temperature can affect the current in a resistor in two ways. First, an increase in temperature can cause the atoms of the resistor's material to vibrate more and therefore increase the collisions with the charge carriers, resulting in an increase in resistance and a decrease in current. Second, some materials, such as semiconductors, have a negative temperature coefficient, meaning that their resistance decreases as temperature increases, resulting in an increase in current.

4. Can the current in a resistor ever be zero?

Yes, the current in a resistor can be zero if the voltage applied across it is also zero. In this case, there is no potential difference to drive the flow of charge through the resistor. Additionally, if the resistance of the resistor is very high, the current may approach zero even with a non-zero voltage applied.

5. How does the length and thickness of a resistor affect the current?

The length and thickness of a resistor can affect the current by changing its resistance. A longer and/or thinner resistor will have a higher resistance, resulting in a decrease in current. Conversely, a shorter and/or thicker resistor will have a lower resistance, resulting in an increase in current. This relationship is described by the formula R = ρL/A, where R is the resistance, ρ is the resistivity of the material, L is the length, and A is the cross-sectional area of the resistor.