Is D3 Abelian Based on Its Cayley Table?

• MHB
  • Thread starter karush
  • Start date
In summary, $D_3$ is a non-Abelian group with 6 elements represented by $R_0, R_{120}, R_{240}, V, D_L$ and $D_R$. It can be represented using a Cayley table, which shows the result of combining any two elements. The last three rows of the table indicate inversion, but this does not always mean the group is non-Abelian. In fact, there are some groups with inversion and mirror planes that are still Abelian, such as the Klein 4-group, which is isomorphic to Z_4.
karush
Gold Member
MHB
$\textsf{Write out a complete Cayley table for $D_3$. Is $D_3$ Abelian?}$
$$
\begin{array}{ l | l l l l l l}
&R_0 &R_{120} &R_{240} &V &D_L &D_R\\
\hline
R_0 & R_0 & R_{120} &R_{240} & V &D_L &D_R\\
R_{120} & R_{120} & R_{240} &R_0 &D_L &D_R & V\\
R_{240} & R_{240} & R_0 &R_{120} &D_R & V &D_L\\
V & V &D_R &D_L & R_0 &R_{240} & R_{120}\\
D_L &D_L & V &D_R &R_{120} & R_0 &R_{240}\\
D_R &D_R &D_L & V &R_{240} & R_{120}& R_0
\end{array}
%$$
$\textsf{Is $D_3$ Abelian?}$

all I know is if it is Abelian then $AB=BA$ in all choices... so ?

Physics news on Phys.org
karush said:
$\textsf{Write out a complete Cayley table for $D_3$. Is $D_3$ Abelian?}$
$$
\begin{array}{ l | l l l l l l}
&R_0 &R_{120} &R_{240} &V &D_L &D_R\\
\hline
R_0 & R_0 & R_{120} &R_{240} & V &D_L &D_R\\
R_{120} & R_{120} & R_{240} &R_0 &D_L &D_R & V\\
R_{240} & R_{240} & R_0 &R_{120} &D_R & V &D_L\\
V & V &D_R &D_L & R_0 &R_{240} & R_{120}\\
D_L &D_L & V &D_R &R_{120} & R_0 &R_{240}\\
D_R &D_R &D_L & V &R_{240} & R_{120}& R_0
\end{array}
%$$
$\textsf{Is $D_3$ Abelian?}$

all I know is if it is Abelian then $AB=BA$ in all choices... so ?
Correct. So what is \(\displaystyle V \cdot R_{120}\)? What is \(\displaystyle R_{120} \cdot V\)?

This isn't always true but usually if you have an inversion or mirror plane the group is non-Abelian. They are usually the first things you want to check.

-Dan

topsquark said:
Correct. So what is \(\displaystyle V \cdot R_{120}\)? What is \(\displaystyle R_{120} \cdot V\)?

This isn't always true but usually if you have an inversion or mirror plane the group is non-Abelian. They are usually the first things you want to check.

-Dan

the last 3 rows seem to indicate inversion

karush said:
the last 3 rows seem to indicate inversion
Yup. Mind you, it doesn't always mean that the group is non-Abelian. Consider the group \(\displaystyle \{ I, R_{180}, i, \sigma _z \}\). (I don't recall the name for this one.) I is the identity, \(\displaystyle R_{180}\) is the rotatin of 180 degrees, i is inversion \(\displaystyle (x, y, z) \to (-x, -y, -z)\), and \(\displaystyle \sigma _z\) is the mirror plane over the xy plane.

It's got an inversion as well as a mirror plane, yet it's Abelian. This group is isomorphic to \(\displaystyle Z_4\).

-Dan

topsquark said:
Yup. Mind you, it doesn't always mean that the group is non-Abelian. Consider the group \(\displaystyle \{ I, R_{180}, i, \sigma _z \}\). (I don't recall the name for this one.) I is the identity, \(\displaystyle R_{180}\) is the rotatin of 180 degrees, i is inversion \(\displaystyle (x, y, z) \to (-x, -y, -z)\), and \(\displaystyle \sigma _z\) is the mirror plane over the xy plane.

It's got an inversion as well as a mirror plane, yet it's Abelian. This group is isomorphic to \(\displaystyle Z_4\).

-Dan

what is \(\displaystyle \sigma _z\) and \(\displaystyle Z_4\)
I shud know but don't

karush said:
what is \(\displaystyle \sigma _z\) and \(\displaystyle Z_4\)
I shud know but don't
The group elements are operations; they operate on a set of points. So say we have a point at (1, 1, 1). Then

Identity: I (1, 1, 1) = (1, 1, 1)
Rotation about 180 degrees: \(\displaystyle R_{180} (1, 1, 1) = (-1, -1, 1)\)
Inversion: i (1, 1, 1) = (-1, -1, -1)
Mirror plane: This a reflection of the point over the xy plane: \(\displaystyle \sigma _z (1, 1, 1) = (1, 1, -1)\)

So we have 4 points in space. (I'll leave it to you to check that this is actually a group.)

\(\displaystyle Z_4\) is an Abelian group of four elements, the binary operation usually taken to be addition. The elements of this group are 0, 1, 2, 3. This is isomorphic to the modular group (mod 4), \(\displaystyle \mathbb{Z} / 4 \mathbb{Z}\). (If you don't know what that is, don't worry.)

\(\displaystyle \begin{array}{c||c|c|c|c}
Z_4^+ & 0 & 1 & 2 & 3 \\
\hline \hline
0 & 0 & 1 & 2 & 3 \\
1 & 1 & 2 & 3 & 0 \\
2 & 2 & 3 & 0 & 1 \\
3 & 3 & 0 & 1 & 2 \\
\end{array}
\)

-Dan

I'm sorry, I gave you the wrong group. It's not \(\displaystyle Z_4\) that is isomorphic to the point group I brought up, it's V, the Klein 4-group.
\(\displaystyle \begin{array}{c||c|c|c|c|}
V & e & a & b & c \\
\hline \hline
e & e & a & b & c \\
a & a & e & c & b \\
b & b & c & e & a \\
c & c & b & a & e
\end{array}
\)

where e is the identity element for the group. The way you can tell that this point group isn't \(\displaystyle Z_4\) is that each element is its own inverse.

Again, my apologies for the confusion!

-Dan

Related to Is D3 Abelian Based on Its Cayley Table?

1. What does the notation "Aa1.1.2 Is D_3 Abelian?" mean?

The notation "Aa1.1.2 Is D_3 Abelian?" is asking if the group D3 is an Abelian group under the operation Aa1.1.2. In other words, it is asking if the group elements in D3 commute with each other under the given operation.

2. How do you determine if a group is Abelian?

A group is considered Abelian if all of its elements commute with each other under the given operation. This means that the order in which the elements are multiplied does not affect the result. One way to determine if a group is Abelian is to create a Cayley table and check if the operation is commutative for all combinations of elements.

3. What is an example of an Abelian group?

A simple example of an Abelian group is the group of integers under the operation of addition. In this group, the order of addition does not affect the result, making it an Abelian group.

4. Is D3 an Abelian group under all operations?

No, D3 is not an Abelian group under all operations. It is only Abelian under certain operations, such as the operation Aa1.1.2. In fact, D3 is non-Abelian under the operation of matrix multiplication.

5. Why is it important to determine if a group is Abelian?

Determining if a group is Abelian can help us understand its properties and behavior. Abelian groups have many useful properties and are often easier to work with in mathematical and scientific applications. Additionally, knowing if a group is Abelian can help us determine if a certain operation will be commutative, which is important in many fields of study.