Is Dimension 3 Enough to Prove Isomorphism Between Spaces?

In summary, if a space E has dimension 3, it is isomorphic to ℝ^3. However, the statement E = ℝ^3 is incorrect. The textbook may use the equality sign to mean "isomorphic to" and in that case, it is correct to write Im(f) = ℝ^3. This is a common but slight abuse of notation.
Daaavde
Is it correct to state that if a space [itex]E[/itex] has dimension 3 then:
[itex]E = ℝ^{3}[/itex] and that the two spaces are isomorph?

Physics news on Phys.org
If E is a 3-dimensional real vector space, then yes E is isomorphic as a vector space to R3. The statement that E = R3 is false however.

Then I wonder why in my textbook, every time there is an omomorphism [itex]f[/itex] whose image [itex]Im(f)[/itex] (row space) has dimension 3 it writes [itex]Im(f) = ℝ^3[/itex].

Am I missing something?

Two possibilities for this: First if your linear transformation has codomain R3 and its image has dimension 3, then its image literally is R3. And two sometimes the equality sign is used to mean "isomorphic to" and in that case I am f is definitely isomorphic to R3.

I think I should have add that all the homomorphisms in the textbook are always [itex]f : ℝ^m \rightarrow ℝ^n[/itex]

In that case it is a slight abuse of notation to write I am f = R3, but also a very common one.

I see, thank you for your answer.

Related to Is Dimension 3 Enough to Prove Isomorphism Between Spaces?

1. What does "same dimensions" mean in relation to space?

Same dimensions refers to the physical measurements or size of a space. This can include length, width, and height.

2. How is space defined in terms of dimensions?

Space is defined as a three-dimensional expanse in which objects exist and events occur. It is typically measured in terms of length, width, and height.

3. Can two spaces have the same dimensions but be different in size?

Yes, two spaces can have the same dimensions but be different in size. This is because the dimensions of a space only refer to its physical measurements, not the amount of space it occupies.

4. How does the concept of "same dimensions, same space" relate to the theory of relativity?

The theory of relativity states that space and time are interconnected and can be affected by the presence of matter and energy. The concept of "same dimensions, same space" is a way of describing how space can be measured and defined in a consistent and objective manner, regardless of its position or motion in relation to other objects.

5. Are there any exceptions to the concept of "same dimensions, same space"?

There are some exceptions to the concept of "same dimensions, same space" in certain theories, such as string theory, which propose the existence of extra dimensions beyond the three we are familiar with. However, in everyday life and most scientific contexts, the concept of same dimensions and same space holds true.