Is discussing ideas with your professor a good idea?

In summary, the individual openly discusses their ideas related to entrepreneurship with various people, and hopes to start a start-up with a friend after finals. They also discuss research ideas with their professor, but keep their money-making ideas, such as the current start-up they are working on, to themselves. The question is posed whether they should also discuss business ideas with others, as there is a risk of someone taking the idea and making it their own, or adding their own twist to it. This has been seen in a This American Life podcast that discussed patent infringement and the consequences of not properly documenting and protecting one's ideas.
Futurestar33
I speak about my ideas quite openly, with many people as entreprenuership is one of my passions. (and hopefullly me and my friend will have started my start up shortly after this semesters finals).

I speak about my research ideas that I have with my professor, but I am currently an undergraduate and plan on going to a prestigious school next hopefully. Many of them love my ideas and want me to do research for them. However I do not discuss my immediate money making ideas with them, for example my start up I am currently working on. Should I discuss business ideas with them as well?

Thank you,
Futurestar

Physics news on Phys.org
Anyone you discuss your ideas with can get a notion to run with it too. Another problem is they may mention a novel twist which means you would need to consider their contribution as well.

There was a This American Life podcast actually two on inventions, patents and litigation. One story involved a major law firm that would take up inventor patents and litigate against supposed infringers making millions until they met up with the wrong company had a court battle and lost the rights because the inventor didn't really invent it. He instead wrote down someone else's ideas and patented them as his own and the defense found a reference in his notes on it.

http://m.thisamericanlife.org/radio-archives/episode/496/when-patents-attack-part-two

Likes CalcNerd

1. What are the benefits of discussing ideas with my professor?

Discussing ideas with your professor can provide valuable insight and feedback on your ideas. Your professor has experience and expertise in the field and can offer suggestions and help refine your ideas. This can also help you gain a deeper understanding of the subject matter and improve your critical thinking skills.

2. Is it appropriate to approach my professor with my ideas outside of class?

Yes, it is appropriate to approach your professor with your ideas outside of class. Professors are typically happy to discuss ideas with their students, as it shows your interest and dedication to the subject. However, it is important to be respectful of their time and schedule a meeting or visit during their office hours.

3. How can discussing ideas with my professor improve my academic performance?

Discussing ideas with your professor can improve your academic performance by helping you better understand the material, develop critical thinking skills, and refine your ideas and arguments. Your professor can also provide valuable resources and guidance for further research and exploration.

4. Are there any potential downsides to discussing ideas with my professor?

In general, there are not many downsides to discussing ideas with your professor. However, it is important to be open to feedback and constructive criticism. Your professor may challenge your ideas and push you to think critically, which can be uncomfortable at times. Additionally, be mindful of your professor's time and make sure to come prepared with specific questions or ideas to discuss.

5. How can I make the most out of discussing ideas with my professor?

To make the most out of discussing ideas with your professor, come prepared with specific questions or topics to discuss. Be open to feedback and constructive criticism, and be willing to engage in a respectful and productive discussion. It can also be helpful to take notes during the discussion and follow up with any additional questions or ideas afterward.