Is energy conservation violated under gravity?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of energy conservation under the force of gravity. It is explained that at any two points in time, the sum of kinetic and potential energies remains constant. The potential energy increases as the object gets further away from the Earth's surface, while the kinetic energy decreases due to gravity doing negative work. It is also mentioned that potential energy can be thought of as the negative of the work done on an object. The conversation ends by discussing the signs and values of potential and kinetic energy at different distances from the Earth's surface.
hav0c
Loss of energy under gravity??

(i am ignoring all forces except gravity)
by conservation of energy-at any 2 points in time the sum of Ekinetic and Epotential is the same.
at infinity
Epotential is nearly zero, Ekinetic is also nearing zero(or is it)??
then am i flawed in my above statement or is energy conservation violated??

here gravity is doing negative work on the object so both kinetic and potential energies are going down
how so?

Physics news on Phys.org

hav0c said:
(i am ignoring all forces except gravity)
by conservation of energy-at any 2 points in time the sum of Ekinetic and Epotential is the same.
at infinity
Epotential is nearly zero, Ekinetic is also nearing zero(or is it)??
then am i flawed in my above statement or is energy conservation violated??
Why would you think that the kinetic energy is necessarily zero at infinity? (Assuming it had enough energy to keep going. Depending on the initial KE, it may just reach a maximum distance.)
here gravity is doing negative work on the object so both kinetic and potential energies are going down
how so?
As the object gets further away from earth, gravity does negative work. But that means the potential energy increases as the kinetic energy decreases.

thank you

Doc Al said:
Why would you think that the kinetic energy is necessarily zero at infinity? (Assuming it had enough energy to keep going. Depending on the initial KE, it may just reach a maximum distance.)

As the object gets further away from earth, gravity does negative work. But that means the potential energy increases as the kinetic energy decreases.

i suddenly realized
why would potential energy increase as it gets further away from the Earth's surface?
it is=mgh
as the value of h increases g decreases

EDIT: contradicting my above statement potential energy can be thought of -(the work done on an object)
please clarify

Last edited:

hav0c said:
i suddenly realized
why would potential energy increase as it gets further away from the Earth's surface?
it is=mgh
as the value of h increases g decreases
For distances close to the Earth's surface the potential energy is mgh. So even though g does decrease with distance, as long as you are getting further from the surface gravitational PE is increasing.
EDIT: contradicting my above statement potential energy can be thought of -(the work done on an object)
please clarify
It's certainly true that gravitational PE is the negative of the work done by gravity. Since the work done by gravity is itself negative as an object is raised, the change in gravitational PE will be positive.

Start at the Earth's surface, with a pretty low value of Potential (a large negative number for an attractive field). You go upwards with some KE (always positive because v squared is positive) and the KE decreases as your PE increases (from very negative to not so negative). If you have enough KE, to start with, by the time you get to 'infinity' you will still have some left and you 'escape' with some KE to spare. If not, your KE will get to zero before the PE reaches zero and you will fall back.
It's all in the signs.

1. What is loss of energy under gravity?

Loss of energy under gravity is a phenomenon where an object loses its potential energy as it moves towards a gravitational source, such as the Earth. This loss of energy is due to the conversion of potential energy into kinetic energy as the object falls towards the ground.

2. How does gravity affect the loss of energy?

Gravity plays a crucial role in the loss of energy under gravity. As an object falls towards the ground, it experiences a force of gravity, which causes it to accelerate. This acceleration leads to an increase in the object's kinetic energy, while its potential energy decreases.

3. What factors affect the amount of energy loss under gravity?

The amount of energy loss under gravity depends on several factors, including the mass and height of the object, the strength of the gravitational force, and the presence of any external forces, such as air resistance. The higher the mass and height of the object, the greater the potential energy, and therefore, the greater the loss of energy under gravity.

4. Can the loss of energy under gravity be reversed?

No, the loss of energy under gravity cannot be reversed. Once an object falls towards a gravitational source, its potential energy is converted into kinetic energy, and this energy cannot be converted back into potential energy. This energy is then dissipated as heat or sound upon impact with the ground.

5. How is the loss of energy under gravity related to the conservation of energy?

The loss of energy under gravity is related to the principle of conservation of energy, which states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transformed from one form to another. In the case of loss of energy under gravity, the potential energy of an object is transformed into kinetic energy, while the total energy of the system remains constant.