Is Every Convex Combination of Elements in a Convex Set Also in the Set?

In summary, we proved that if S is a convex set and x1, x2, x3, . . . xn are n elements in S, then their convex combination is also in S. This was shown using the fact that if x can be expressed as a convex combination of elements in S, then x is also in S. The full proof and explanation can be found in the provided link.
Fernando Revilla
Gold Member
MHB
I quote a question from Yahoo! Answers

I need to Show the Following
if S is a convex set and x1, x2, x3, . . . xn are n elements in S then Their convex combination is also in S .
Please help me .
Thanxs

I have given a link to the topic there so the OP can see my response.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Firstly, we prove that if $x=\alpha_1x_1+\alpha_2x_2+\alpha_3x_3$ for $\alpha_i\ge 0$ and $\sum_i\alpha_i=1$, then $x\in S$. Consider $$\alpha'_i=\frac{\alpha_i}{\alpha_1+\alpha_2} \quad (i=1,2)$$ Note that $\sum_i\alpha'_i=1$ and $\alpha'_i\ge 0.$ We have $$x=\alpha_1x_1+\alpha_2x_2+\alpha_3x_3=(\alpha_1+\alpha_2)(\alpha'_1x_1+\alpha'_2x_2)+\alpha_3x_3$$ By hypothesis $\alpha'_1x_1+\alpha'_2x_2\in S.$ Denote $x_4=\alpha'_1x_1+\alpha'_2x_2$, then $$x=(\alpha_1+\alpha_2)x_4+\alpha_3$$ But $x$ is a convex combination of two elements of $S$, so $x\in S.$ This argument can be generalized for any $i$.

Related to Is Every Convex Combination of Elements in a Convex Set Also in the Set?

What is a convex combination?

A convex combination is a mathematical concept used in optimization and linear algebra. It is a linear combination of two or more points in a set where the coefficients are non-negative and add up to 1. In other words, it is a way of combining points in a set to create a new point that lies within the convex hull of the original set.

Why is proving convex combination important?

Proving convex combination is important because it allows for the application of convex optimization techniques, which are widely used in various fields such as economics, engineering, and computer science. It also helps in understanding the properties and structure of a given set.

How can I prove convex combination in a given set S?

To prove convex combination in a set S, you need to show that for any two points in the set, their convex combination also lies within the set. This can be done by showing that the coefficients of the linear combination are non-negative and add up to 1, and that the resulting point satisfies the definition of convexity.

Can a set S be convex without having a convex combination?

Yes, a set S can be convex without having a convex combination. For example, a single point or a line segment can be convex sets, but they do not have any non-trivial convex combinations. However, for a set to be convex, it must contain all possible convex combinations of its points.

What are some real-world applications of convex combination?

Convex combinations have a wide range of applications in various fields. Some examples include portfolio optimization in finance, image blending in computer graphics, and linear interpolation in data analysis. They are also used in machine learning algorithms to find the optimal solution to a given problem.