1. PF Insights is off to a great start! Fresh and interesting articles on all things science and math. Here: PF Insights

Is every manifold triangulable?

1. quasar987

quasar987 4,770
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

In Lee's Intro to topological manifolds, p.105, it is written that every manifold of dimension 3 or below is triangulable. But in dimension 4, threre are known examples of non triangulable manifolds. In dimensions greater than four, the answer is unknown.

But in Bott-Tu p.190, it is written that every manifold admits a triangulation.

Which is right?

2. jcsd
  3. lavinia

lavinia 2,036
    Science Advisor

I would guess that Bott and Tu mean every smooth manifold since their book is about differential topology. It is a theorem of Whitehead, I believe, that every smooth manifold has a smooth triangulation.

4. It seems that the authors probably have different definitions of triangulation.
    In my opinion, the problem boils down to whether every interval isomorphic to some interval in R^n is triangulable & hence the second statement looks good.

5. lavinia

lavinia 2,036
    Science Advisor

R. ]Kirby and L. C. Siebenmann, On the triangulation of manifolds and the hauptvermutung,
    Bull. Amer. Math. Soc., 75 (1969), 742-749.

This paper is said to have an example of a non-triangulable 6 manifold

6. mathwonk

mathwonk 9,691
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

7. quasar987

quasar987 4,770
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

In Whitney's geometric integration p.124, he credits S.S. Cains (1934) with Whitehead (1940) giving an improvement of the proof in "On C¹ complexes, Annals of Math. 41"

Know someone interested in this topic? Share a link to this question via email, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?