Is expired condom safe to use?

• Thread starter kenny1999
  • Start date
I truly understand expired condom is definitely not safe for birth control or sexual disease.
I'd like to know if the expired lubricant inside the condom would cause any problem to genitals?

Answers and Replies

It's not the lube that expires. That's almost always silicon based.

It's the integrity of the latex that expires.

So this is sort of a false dichotomy.

DaveC426913
Gold Member
I'd like to know if the expired lubricant inside the condom would cause any problem to genitals
You should never take health advice from people you don't know, especially on the internet.

That being said, the lubricant is almost certainly not going to harm you. When health products expire, mostly what happens is that they simply degrade and stop being effective for their intended purpose. They almost certainly will not degrade into something toxic or harmful.

But Big Don hit the nail on the head. It's the silicon that expires - it stops being pliable - resulting in a high risk of rupture*.

*of the condom, not of you (or any part of you).

pinball1970
Gold Member
I truly understand expired condom is definitely not safe for birth control or sexual disease.
I'd like to know if the expired lubricant inside the condom would cause any problem to genitals?
Bin what you have and buy some new ones. Problems solved

DaveC426913
Gold Member
Bin what you have and buy some new ones. Problems solved
Bold of you to assume the problem has yet to occur rather than having already occurred.

• Wow
Likes pinball1970
berkeman
Mentor
You should never take health advice from people you don't know, especially on the internet.
And especially concerning hazards to your genitals... :wink:

• Haha
Likes pinball1970
Vanadium 50
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
The fact that you are asking physicists says something about your life choices. (What do physicists use for birth control? Their personalities.)

• Haha
Likes Tom.G, caz, BillTre and 2 others
The fact that you are asking physicists
That's somewhat a bold assumption that all members on PF are physicists.

pinball1970
Gold Member
Bold of you to assume the problem has yet to occur rather than having already occurred.
I was assuming he was being sensible to ask the question before potential problems…

A bit premature of me probably.