Is $g(n)=O(g^5(n))$ true for all functions?

• MHB
  • Thread starter evinda
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Relation
In summary: Therefore, $g(n)=O((g(n))^5)$ iff $g(n)$ is eventually separated from 0.In summary, $g(n)=O(g^5(n))$ holds if and only if $g(n)$ is eventually separated from 0, i.e., there exist an $n_0\in\Bbb N$ and an $\varepsilon>0$ such that $g(n)>\varepsilon$ for all $n>n_0$. This can be proven using the equivalence $y<cy^5\iff y>\sqrt[4]{\frac{1}{c}}$ and by choosing an appropriate value for $c$ based on the given conditions.
evinda
Gold Member
MHB
Hey again! (Wave)

I have to determine if $g(n)=O(g^5(n))$ is true or not.

I thought that I could use the definition of Big-0h, but I don't know how to begin, formulating it.

From the definition, we have that $\exists c>0$ and $n_0 \in \mathbb{N}_0$ such that $\forall n \geq n_0$:

$$0 \leq g(n) \leq c g^5 (n)$$

I took $g(n)=\frac{1}{n}$ and in this case the relation does not stand, since we get: $n^4 \leq c$.

But, taking $g(n)=n$, the relation is true?

So, for which functions is the relation true and for which not? (Thinking)

Technology news on Phys.org
$g(n)=O(g^5(n))$ holds iff $g(n)$ is eventually separated from 0, i.e., there exist an $n_0\in\Bbb N$ and an $\varepsilon>0$ such that $g(n)>\varepsilon$ for all $n>n_0$.

Evgeny.Makarov said:
$g(n)=O(g^5(n))$ holds iff $g(n)$ is eventually separated from 0, i.e., there exist an $n_0\in\Bbb N$ and an $\varepsilon>0$ such that $g(n)>\varepsilon$ for all $n>n_0$.

Could you explain it further to me? (Thinking)

Prove that if $y>\varepsilon>0$ then there exists a $c$ that depends on $\varepsilon$ but not on $y$ such that $y<cy^5$. Here $y$ plays the role of $g(n)$. Obviously, if $\varepsilon\ge1$, then it is enough to take $c=1$. What happens when $0<\varepsilon<1$?

Evgeny.Makarov said:
What happens when $0<\varepsilon<1$?

When $0<\varepsilon<1$, we have to take a $c>2$, right? (Thinking)

How do we conclude this:

$g(n)=O(g^5(n))$ holds iff there exist an $n_0\in\Bbb N$ and an $\varepsilon>0$ such that $g(n)>\varepsilon$ for all $n>n_0$

from the fact that if $g(n)=O(g^5(n))$, then $\exists c>0$ and $n_0 \in \mathbb{N}_0$ such that $\forall n \geq n_0$: $0 \leq g(n) \leq c g^5 (n)$ ? (Worried)

evinda said:
When $0<\varepsilon<1$, we have to take a $c>2$, right?
Not just any $c>2$.

Note that
\[
y<cy^5\iff cy^4>1\iff c>\frac{1}{y^4}\iff y>\sqrt[4]{\frac{1}{c}}
\]
when $c,y>0$. I suggest answering the following questions, which lead to the solution.

1. If $y=0.5$, for what $c$ (at least one) do we have $cy^4>1$?
  2. If $y=0.1$, for what $c$ do we have $cy^4>1$?
  3. If $y=0.01$, for what $c$ do we have $cy^4>1$?
  4. In general, if $0<y<1$, for what $c$ do we have $cy^4>1$? (Smile)
  5. Suppose that the exact value of $y$ is not known, but it is known that $y>\varepsilon>0$. Which $c$ would guarantee that $cy^4>1$?
evinda said:
How do we conclude this:

$g(n)=O(g^5(n))$ holds iff there exist an $n_0\in\Bbb N$ and an $\varepsilon>0$ such that $g(n)>\varepsilon$ for all $n>n_0$
The questions above lead to a proof of the $(\Longleftarrow)$ part. In fact, both directions follow from the equivalence
\[
y<cy^5\iff y>\sqrt[4]{\frac{1}{c}}.
\]

Evgeny.Makarov said:
Not just any $c>2$.

Note that
\[
y<cy^5\iff cy^4>1\iff c>\frac{1}{y^4}\iff y>\sqrt[4]{\frac{1}{c}}
\]
when $c,y>0$. I suggest answering the following questions, which lead to the solution.

1. If $y=0.5$, for what $c$ (at least one) do we have $cy^4>1$?
  2. If $y=0.1$, for what $c$ do we have $cy^4>1$?
  3. If $y=0.01$, for what $c$ do we have $cy^4>1$?
  4. In general, if $0<y<1$, for what $c$ do we have $cy^4>1$? (Smile)
  5. Suppose that the exact value of $y$ is not known, but it is known that $y>\varepsilon>0$. Which $c$ would guarantee that $cy^4>1$?

1. $c >16$
  2. $c>10^4$
  3. $c> 10^8$
  4. $c> \frac{1}{y^4}$
  5. $c>\frac{1}{\epsilon^4}$

Right? (Thinking)

Yes. So if $g(n)>\varepsilon$ starting from some $N$, then taking any $c>\frac{1}{\varepsilon^4}$ guarantees that $g(n)<c(g(n))^5$ starting from the same $N$, i.e., $g(n)=O((g(n))^5)$. Conversely, using the last equivalence in post #6, if $g(n)<c(g(n))^5$ for all $n>N$, then $g(n)>\sqrt[4]{\frac{1}{c}}$ for $n>N$, so $g(n)$ is eventually separated from 0.

Related to Is $g(n)=O(g^5(n))$ true for all functions?

1. What does the notation $O(g(n))$ mean?

The notation $O(g(n))$ is used in computer science and mathematics to represent the asymptotic upper bound of a function. In other words, it describes the growth rate of a function in terms of another function. If a function is said to be $O(g(n))$, it means that the growth rate of the function is no faster than the growth rate of $g(n)$.

2. Is $g(n)$ always going to be less than or equal to $g^5(n)$?

No, it is not always the case. The notation $O(g(n))$ only represents the asymptotic upper bound, which means that $g(n)$ can be equal to or less than $g^5(n)$ in some cases. However, in general, $g(n)$ will be significantly smaller than $g^5(n)$ as the exponent increases the growth rate of the function significantly.

3. How do you determine if $g(n)=O(g^5(n))$ is true for a specific function?

To determine if $g(n)=O(g^5(n))$ is true for a specific function, you need to find the limit of the ratio $g(n)/g^5(n)$ as n approaches infinity. If the limit is a finite number, then the statement is true. If the limit is infinity or does not exist, then the statement is false.

4. Can you provide an example of a function where $g(n)=O(g^5(n))$ is true?

Yes, for example, let $g(n) = n$ and $g^5(n) = n^5$. As n approaches infinity, the limit of $g(n)/g^5(n)$ will be 0, which means that $g(n)$ is significantly smaller than $g^5(n)$ and the statement is true.

5. Is the statement $g(n)=O(g^5(n))$ always true for any two functions?

No, the statement is not always true for any two functions. It depends on the growth rate of the two functions. For example, if $g(n) = n^2$ and $g^5(n) = n^4$, then the statement is false because $g(n)$ grows faster than $g^5(n)$ as n approaches infinity.